Chopping Samples in FL

Crown J.

I'm a sample based producer. How do I use FL to time my samples correctly so they are at the same tempo as the drums. More importantly, how do I chop my samples?

the fastest and easiest way might be by loading the fruiyt slicer, and dropping your .wav onto it.

For more control though, you might want to open up an external wave editor, and chop the sample accordingly and save them each as waves.

After the Fruity Slicer automatically puts the red lines over it, how do I then save each of those chops so I can then arrange them in my song? Or perhaps even without saving them all seperately, how do I just move those chops from the fruityslicer so i can arrange them?

do you have a midi controller?

if so, then just tap away on the keys.

if not, then go into the piano roll, and arrange your samples that way.

easiest way is to set your tempo in fruity loops to the tempo that you chopped your sample at. then it should fit. it not then click on the sampler track you have your sample loaded into and go to the timestretch part. it should have a multiplier knob, a time knob, and a pitch knob. go to the multiplier knob and turn it left to speed the sample up and turn it right to slow the sample down. then just make it faster or slower to fit your drums.

Crown on the real, it is not as difficult as everyone is making it seem. What you need is a sound program that is good it editing tracks (such as Sound Forge). Once you have that import the track in(preferably mp3)to Forge and use the looping control to select the part of the beat you want. Copy that selected sample into a new window. Then you can save that and put it in FL.

Once in there place a snare at every second and fourth count. Set the sample to the musical key you want to play it in. Then press play, heighten or lower the tempo as you try to match your beat. When the snares are hitting correctly than make sure the sample is looping tightly.

There it is. FL Stu is a great program if you can learn and harness its small capabilites to their fullest potential then seek to master tweak even the most minute portion of the track.

Remeber its never the instrument.

peace, love, & nappiness

Casper

Hmm. I really haven't tried sampling in FL. I belive FL is a great software but not by itself. I therefore use other components with it to do what they do best. In this case, I use Soundforge with FL5.

well crown i will tell u how i chop my samples to use in fruity.
1. open ur sample in sound forge and set markers at where u want fruity 2 chop ur sample.
2. save the file as a wave file.
3. open fruity then go under the file menu and chose import. choose beat to slice.
and from there u can choose whether the slices are to be set in a layered slice or in separate channels or in the fl slicer.
and setting the markers can be done in any wave editor. this method works for me hope it works for u.

How do u set the markers in sound forge.I usually jus chop the sample how I want in sound forge but I dont know how to set markers in sound forge.How would I?

In Sound Forge you can use markers but it would take a longer time. All you have to do is use the mouse to selecct the part of the wave you would like to use. then that part will begin to loop. once it loops on the correct beat with no clips save it.

peace

huey free

Cells said:
How do u set the markers in sound forge.I usually jus chop the sample how I want in sound forge but I dont know how to set markers in sound forge.How would I?

Wherever u want to add a chop or marker press M

Back