Cheap Digital to Analog converters?

mikehende

Does anyone know of any "cheap" D/A converters? I don't know why but Analog to Digital converters are plentiful and come in all different price ranges but Digital to Analog converters seem to be very expensive and there are not many to choose from.

I need to run an experiment with an old Analog Receiver and my experiment requires that the Receiver has an Optical "input", if anyone knows of any other cheap device or way that I can add the Optical input to the Analog receiver, please post!

You do realize that if you hear anything, you're already running through some converters? I don't really see a point in getting separate D/A's unless you go for a really high quality box (which in turn needs to feed to an excellent monitoring system to be of any use)...

yeah, theres no point to convert for anything other than monitoring, and a good number of monitors have DA converters in them.

Oh yes, from seeing the price of D/A converters I am not going to get one, all I need is to get an Optical "input" which is why I looked into this, since it looks like there isn't any other or cheaper way for me to add an Optical input to my Analog receiver, think I will have to get a Digital Amp for sure, shame though, I love that old Kenwood KR4700 Receiver.

You could do the conversion in your computer and then send the signal to your old receiver thru RCA's. Just about any sound card will have an optical input. Heck, some mixers even have optical inputs.

I have an Optical in and out on my EMU 0404 card, I have to go from the Optical Output on the card to the Optical input on the Receiver but since my Receiver is Analog, that is why I need somethign with Optical input, the following is what we have done so far for me to control an Analog piece via my Card's software [Patchmix]:

Here is a rundown of what all we did to get your system setup for your
desired purpose.
First thing we went over was the connections you are using.
- Coming from the 1/4 inch analog outputs on the 0404 going to your
reverb machine
- From the Reverb we go back into the 1/4 inch analog inputs on the
- To get the audio out to your speakers we used the Optical S/PDIF
output
Then we set PatchMix up for the proper audio routing
- To get the signal out to the reverb we simply added a send to PCI
Card Out 1/2 on the Aux Bus 1
- Then we added strips for both the PCI Card inputs L and R, These
strips are the ones your reverb
signal will come back in on
- Made sure his output was routed to PCI Card S/PDIF

With PatchMix setup this way to send a signal to the reverb you will
need to turn the Aux 1 knob up
on desired strip. Since your software would have trouble adjusting
sliders to instantly mute the
reverb you should be able to set your macro software up to Mute the two
PCI Card In strips.

Ok SaltyDawg, now if you can come up with something that might work with what we have here, then PLEASE inform me as I don't quite understand what you wrote, thanks.

I guess I don't understand what you're trying to do.

I was thinking you had some piece that had an optical out, and you needed a way to connect it to your receiver.

If your receiver doesn't have an optical input, then it probably never will. As you correctly assumed, you need some way to convert that digital signal to analog.

Well, that is exactly what you sound card on your computer does. You can conect something to the optical input on your sound card, and then connect your receiver to the analog outputs of your sound card. And you can route the sound to the receiver.

Back