Can a Production Company be a Publishing Comapny?

D

DJ Sleepy Boy

Ive been reading all the old threads about publishing companies i can find. So my question is,

can a Production Company or a Record Label be a Publishing company?

if not explain

thanks

Well, if you wrote a song or created a beat by yourself, you are the full copyright holder and PUBLISHER. A Publisher is basically the Copyright holder. A publishing company is a BUSINESS that owns copyrights and issues licenses to users to receive income.

A record company presses records and sell them. Now, if you create your OWN songs, and burn to them to CD and sell them you are the PUBLISHER and the RECORD label. So a record label can be a publishing company so long as it owns the FULL copyrights of the songs.

ok

im starting a production company. should i just let my production comany be a publishing company under the same name?

also, if i sign someone to my label, does that mean that i own the publishing to the music they make?

Last edited by a moderator:
DJ Sleepy Boy said:
ok

im starting a production company. should i just let my production comany be a publishing company under the same name?

also, if i sign someone to my label, does that mean that i own the publishing to the music they make?

You can do both. The important thing is to register with one of the performance rights agencies (ascap/bmi/sesac) as a publisher as well.

So you can have Sleepy Productions and Sleepy Publishing.

If you sign someone to your label, you don't automatically own their publishing, unless it's spelled out in the contract that they sign.

You should really read the book "Everything You Need To Know About The Music Business" by Donald Passman. That will answer all of the questions you could ever have.

Publishing is very confusing and very tricky. Then you're throwing business on top of that, with labels, signings, etc. Gotta know what you're doing before you go dealing with all of that stuff.

Good luck.

what about for just selling music and not signing anyone to a label?would a publishing company would work as a production company as well???

and for the canadians you dont need ascap/bmi/sesac you need to register with socan

You can do both. The important thing is to register with one of the performance rights agencies (ascap/bmi/sesac) as a publisher as well.

So you can have Sleepy Productions and Sleepy Publishing.

If you sign someone to your label, you don't automatically own their publishing, unless it's spelled out in the contract that they sign.

You should really read the book "Everything You Need To Know About The Music Business" by Donald Passman. That will answer all of the questions you could ever have.

Publishing is very confusing and very tricky. Then you're throwing business on top of that, with labels, signings, etc. Gotta know what you're doing before you go dealing with all of that stuff.

Good luck.

Awesome book i might add.

Back