Can I Get An Amen?

krushing

Can I Get An Amen? is an audio installation that unfolds a critical perspective of perhaps the most sampled drums beat in the history of recorded music, the Amen Break. It begins with the pop track Amen Brother by 60's soul band The Winstons, and traces the transformation of their drum solo from its original context as part of a 'B' side vinyl single into its use as a key aural ingredient in contemporary cultural expression. The work attempts to bring into scrutiny the techno-utopian notion that 'information wants to be free'- it questions its effectiveness as a democratizing agent. This as well as other issues are foregrounded through a history of the Amen Break and its peculiar relationship to current copyright law.

Nice history lesson & some thoughts on modern copyright laws...

the first thing that came to my mind when i heard that sample was...IM COMIN STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON ,A CRAZY MUTHAF#CKA NAME ICE CUBE!!!! lol...

oh damn...he just played the song...lol

heh. pretty interesting in the bigger scheme of things too; copyright-wise. this break which could've earned millions in sampling royalty etc in the past 40years; and the copyright holder "...simply doesnt care." :o

but what these zeroG people are doing is unethical, imho. legality-wise, i'm sure they've figured it out, and people couldnt care less either (cmon, even the copyright holder dont give a hoot), but to distribute something equivalent to a public domain and getting people to pay for it is a bit dodgy.

dunno, i spose you could argue the same with people using the break in a track and putting it on a commercially released recording.

mehh, the issue and baggage that surround it, is as chaotic as the break's sonic potentialities itself!

Last edited:
highkoo said:
krushing, you must search google for 'cool sh1t' all day man.....

That's what I do for living :D

There's a rather cool TB-303 thing also on that page if you click on "next project" through a couple of pages...

krushing said:

That's what I do for living :D

haha!

well you must be highly respected in that field then..... cuz you got the goods....

it was you that dropped that archive.org link too a while ago huh?
ive been all over that.....

peace.

Back