can anyone explain the difference between open and closed hi hats?

lol umm closed hi hats should be played basically on 1/8 of the beat meaning it should hit 8 times a beat thru out the beat, and a open hat i use it 1/8 beat after the snare, or it can be used before a snare to create that old school sound. A closed hat is a hat that does not make a long noise, a open hat makes a long noise. like a cymbal.

I am not one of those musicians who says electronic music is fake and "not real" and sh*t like that, 'cause I go with both, but

Man, have you ever SEEN a real drumkit before? Of course you have. You actually don't even know what a highhat is, though, let alone what closed and open mean. There is no way you know what a highhat is and ask this question.

This is the kind of sh*t that gives DJs, techno producers, etc. a hard time getting respect.

*sigh* Highhats are the cymbals that are on a stand that allows them to be foot-operated. With the pedal up, they are closed and they sound like two cymbals stuck together being hit. When the pedal is down, they are open, and the sound is more open, if you will. Most basic rock beats have an open high hat as an accent throughout the drumbeat.

MadTiger3000 said:
*sigh* Highhats are the cymbals that are on a stand that allows them to be foot-operated. With the pedal up, they are closed and they sound like two cymbals stuck together being hit. When the pedal is down, they are open, and the sound is more open, if you will. Most basic rock beats have an open high hat as an accent throughout the drumbeat.
isn't it the other way? by stepping on the pedal the hats close.

yeah hes right its the otherway
down to close up to open
your giving him a bad time about hihats
and what he should know, and your giving him the wrong advise.

plebs of the world unite and buy a hihat that closes ped up and open ped down

And you can use them "Wherever the **** you want".
No offense, but its like saying where in a track should i play middle c. Your the boss dude. Its your tune.

A closed hat is a hat that does not make a long noise, a open hat makes a long noise.

thats the only significant thing you'll get out of this D1G1T4L. use it when it sounds right, this music. not math or science. And dont let these fuks put you down, ask whatever question you got to.

headphone said:

thats the only significant thing you'll get out of this D1G1T4L. use it when it sounds right, this music. not math or science. And dont let these fuks put you down, ask whatever question you got to.
there is such thing as a stupid question and this is qualifying question

there's no need for all that

its an arrangement question
everybody can't realistically arrange horns, strings,... its the same thing

closed hi-hat cymbals are usually used like a metronome, its a ticking sound and its usually pretty repetitive because of the physical limitations of playing drums the way it is set up, however with electronic music, you can do whatever you want with it

open hi-hat cymbals are usually used as an accent, a part to add emphasis on a certain part, they are basically used the same way you hear the big crash cymbals, but its a smaller and shorter sound, and it is usually used more often within a phrase

lmao, no need to hate man, just do better then him, his link is in his signature, its not your responsibility to put him on blast

MadTiger3000 said:

Man, have you ever SEEN a real drumkit before? Of course you have. You actually don't even know what a highhat is, though, let alone what closed and open mean. There is no way you know what a highhat is and ask this question.

This is the kind of sh*t that gives DJs, techno producers, etc. a hard time getting respect.

*sigh*

LOL a bit harsh? he just wanted to know the diff between OPEN & CLOSED

coulda looked it up on the net yeah but how long has it taken all these haters to write out replies,

i reckon people actually LOVE these 'dumb' questions as it gives you something to do :)

Gangsta Rapper said:
What's funny is Xabiton talks all this sh*T...and his beats are so wack...

judge for your self...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=407748&songID=2881644

LMAO
whats funnier is that this post is totally irrelevant for 1. I talk **** about sh*t about lazy people, stupid people, and people without enough drive or common sense to know any better. 2 theres only 2 beats on that page 1 is an old mic check and the other is a mix check and a beat that i just have there for anyone who wants to take it. 3 i never claimed i was better than anybody but since u aint got no music up who are u really to talk down anybody? Everything I do doesnt hit soundclick matter of fact 80-90% of what i do doesnt hit the internet. do urself a favor and stay out my business and worry about ur own. Quit hatin it aint good for u.

I agree Dreaming and Xab. Way too many people on here talking **** with no music up.
Whilst none of us is claiming to have the best beatz on the planet (yet)it takes a lot of balls to come here and post your stuff. Those with no links shouldn't bother to comment, cos guess what? someone with a link will always get my respect first.

wanna know the diff between closed & opend hi hats? let the chinese rock & roll master show you.

man where dat video at, wit the chinese dude rocking that creative keyboard

Back