Building sight reading skills

M

menergy

Anyone got any good tips to help building music sight reading skills?

I think it is good ot take some classes. Twice a week for a few months at least. Go to night classes. Ask your local schools and such they may have some affordable package.

you wont regret :)

Just to clarify... I already know what 99% of the symbols mean on sheet music.

I want to improve my ability to read/play.

oh ok! I thought you wanted to start.

My advice: choose a film soundtrack you like and go buy the music sheet for it (music store should have it i it is a common soundtrack).

Then, just try to play the whole book, again and again... it'll be boring, but it is a good training... I should train myself more as well (your post reminds me) :)

good luck. I know i am not helping much (basically i say play paly play) but i think its the basic thing to do, train.

take care!

Agreed

Perfect Practice Makes Perfect

The only way to get better at sight reading is to constantly get **new** sheet music that you haven't seen and give it a try. You'll only know what it should sound like if you have somebody else's performance of the same piece to listen to. And of course different performances of the same music can sound vastly different.

Another note: Practice with other musicians. the challenge of keeping up with others can make you sight read better.

One

Back