Is a bigger midi keyboard a necessity?

9mmBass

Hey,

I currently use the Alesis Q25 USB midi keyboard and it is fairly limited in the sense that it only has 25 keys. (and switching octaves via a button, very un-natural and somewhat confusing).

I will upgrade to a 49 key controller at the very least however would you recommend a 61 note keyboard?

I will spend a few months this summer getting my music theory down.

Would a 61 key controller be overkill or do you see this as a good option over a 49 key?

I mean the difference in price is not much but what I'm asking is, do you see this as a necessity?

Thanks,
9mmBass

Its all preference,I know people and have myself banged out tracks on an axiom 25 key kb.If you play keys dont short yourself get the 61,it would help cause transposing can get tedious.But the 49 is good enough but i would say if you play keys go ahead and get the 61.If not,It dosent matter id get the 49.

A bigger keyboard just means less pains in the ass, that's it.

Smaller keyboard is a bigger pain in the ass, but is also more portable and has a smaller footprint.

It's up to you to decide which would fit your situation better.

Id get an m audio keyrig 49 i was where u were at now 2 years ago got the key rig 49 and it lets u go up note octaves with a click of a button so it's like i basically have a 61 note piano withou havin one..

As for your question, no I don't think 61 keys is anywhere near overkilll.

Only thing I truly think is overkill is 88 keys.

My keyboard is 76 keys which IMO is perfect, IDK if I can go back to less keys aside from specifically for portabiliity purposes.

The only other way I'd do less keys over my keyboard right now is if it were a dedicated controller ala Axiom, that's cause the buttons and sliders though.

Honestly, Unless you are planning on playing piano lines with the midi keyboard, then 49 should be fine. If you are playing piano lines on the midi, then I suggest getting the closest thing to actual hammer action as possible. The "semi-weighted" action sucks coming from a piano background. I'd almost rather have no weight and just have it a synth.

depends on what yourt doing the onyl real negative thing about a 25 key is its very limited in sense that you can only play a few things before swtiching octives

I have a 61 Key Axiom Pro. If you want to learn how to play the piano or keys properly, then yes I'd say a full size keyboard is the way to go. But if you are "piecing" together tracks, punching occasional chords and notes, or triggering samples you can do a lot with a little.

I use a 25 key right now and would like one more octave but it fits in my bag. I've had 88 key, 61 key, and this 25 key. Next one will prob be a 37 or 49. Although I have my eye on the new Arturia analog synth.

i had a 61 key but had to downgrade due to lack of space, now on 49 and i get on fine with it but i do occasionally need the extra octave

I use an MPK25. It's a fine tool for composing and fits in my backpack. I like it's portability. I would suggest a 61 key if your are trying to really get into playing. I originally had the MPK49, it got the job done, but was limited for playing.

Unless you really need portability or don't have much money I would avoid anything less than 61 keys. That's just me. Its easier to learn to play with 2 hands on more keys.

I have a 49key due to space. I wish I had more space for a 61 key version of my board, but I just don't. The 49 key is fine, but I definitely could use that one extra octave when playing somme instrument parts. Especially pianos.

U learn to start using the octave button mid-performance.

It really depends on what music you make. If you make music that is intense on the keys then i'd reccomend a bigger one. I'd also reccomend on full size keys if you have fat fingers :berzerk:

Back