is it better to just get really good with one daw or try different ones?

mcbuckets

id like to know if i should just get better using one daw or if id learn more messing around with different types?

I agree. Just learn to get your ideas down & find some way to organize them so you can call them up when you need.

Once you learn what you're looking for & how to get it, the DAW crap will sort itself out.

I believe learning functionality for the long haul is the best option.

As an engineer, I can hop in front of ANY DAW for the 1st time and get the basic ins and outs in minutes to record and mix a song no differently than I would in one I know because I've seen enough interfaces to recognize the small things that may be moved around or labeled differently.

That helped me alot when I used to jump from studio to studio taking gigs. It would suck to walk in the room and say "you got Cubase? Oh, I can't record or mix in that". Irony is SONAR was always my 1st choice in DAWs, but once moving to a Mac I had to jump to Pro Tools which I already knew from using it in other studios making the transition easy.

I tell you this story to say...there's never gonna be a situation where "bad" comes out of knowing more tools that help you at your craft.

With that said...you still want to stick to your guns by all means. Whatever you work best in is what's best for you.

I agree pretty much with what everyone has said thus far. In the beginning of course you are going to probably hop around to different DAWS until you find the right one for you. I have found that when you really learn one DAW inside and out when you experiment with other DAWS you will find the basic operations on each are fairly easy to grab a hold of if you already have knowledge of a DAW in general .

Learn one DAW and stick with it.

By learning one DAW inside and out, you come across shortcuts, tips, tricks that will speed up your workflow.

i'm best with renoise, but renoise's sequencer and style is tracker based, so it's a bit different-er than the others. i've just been getting into ableton as well and i find it loads of fun, especially when i get producers block. i think i'm gonna try and just stick with those two.

before making this thread i was all "i wanna learn fl studio, cubase, reason, sunvox, openmpt, reaper, supercollider, etc etc" i guess i should just chill out tho lolol;)

I would recommend just sticking with one for a while and learning all of the ins and outs. Once you know one Daw it gets easier to grasp other DAWs once you decide to switch because they all do 95% of the same crap.

The emphasis should be using a DAW that makes it easiest for you to convert your ideas into music. Dont get caught up with a DAW because its "professional" or "cheap", if its working for you, then theres no reason to try everyone. your gonna waste your time learning a new program instead of producing music, and getting better.

I know very little of Renoise, love alot of stuff I've heard produced with it, the fact you said you used it actually made me want to check some of your beats... The link was broke so I couldn't listen, but...there's a message in that. Sometimes being different makes you more interesting.

I'm curious to why you want to move on at all. If it's because you've outgrown Renoise, that's cool, but if it's to somehow fit in with what everyone else is doing, I'd definitely suggest you stick to your guns in that situation.

Last edited:
You should stick to one D.A.W because like others have said they are pretty much all the same.
Reason and Abelton aren't as good in my opinion because of the sequencer.
FL is at the bottom because cats think just because you can click on squares and make a beat
you can do that in any D.A.W and it's not that easy in more professional D.A.W.s,
Get a D.A.W that suits your workflow though,but something that you can take(knowledge wise)
to any PRO studio.

Peace

i'd say learn one daw because you always could still be learning how to use the daw years later... for instance i use fl studio.. i love it.. i'm still learning shit and i been using it since 2009... i coulda took time off and tried to learn reason.. and would have had to learn both daws which would have slowed my growth feel me..

Learning how to use multiple DAW programs can lead to you stretching yourself out thin. What I mean by that is, it's very time consuming and takes a great deal of patience to learn one DAW, so to take on the task of learning more than one at once may show to be complicated.
I recommend trying a bunch out, finding the top two or three you like and master them one at a time. Once you are comfortable enough in one that you feel you can move on, that's when it's time. Also choosing DAW programs that let you integrate with others is also great. For example you can run Reason through FL studio and utilize the power of both.
Good luck!

The emphasis should be using a DAW that makes it easiest for you to convert your ideas into music. Dont get caught up with a DAW because its "professional" or "cheap", if its working for you, then theres no reason to try everyone. your gonna waste your time learning a new program instead of producing music, and getting better.

one of the main reasons for me wanting to work with multiple daws is just so that if im ever collaborating with someone who doesnt use renoise, i could easily pick up from what they use and work more fluently

start off by learning one daw properly then experiment with other daws in your spare time when youre bored for example. i was using FL while learning the basics of reaper then once i learned some basic tips i tried a few test projects and eventually felt confident to make the switch. ive also tried other ones like renoise, acid, psycle etc..

I wouldn't necessarily go in depth with every DAW but I would for sure give more then 1 DAW a shot, even the Demo versions could tell you enough of a particular DAW.
I stared with FL studio, went to Studio One, then to Maschine, now I've finally been hooked to Ableton Live 9 and Maschine together, and even now having touched all those different DAWS, I'm thinking of using FL Studio sometimes for certain types of tracks or learning to reqire FL into Ableton

precisely this^ There's really no better way to think about the topic. If it works for you , use it, if not then switch it up. But whatever DAW I think is best for my workflow could take you twice as long to work in, and vice versa..

once you learn one daw, recording quickly and effectively while understanding all of the shortcuts / operations it quite valuable ... i ran pro tools and switched to reaper ... took about 3 months to really get flying but that process expanded my understanding of recording and signal flow ..

Back