Best way to figure out what instruments are used in a song?

DJ Detruence

Besides the obvious, knowing what they are by ear.

How do you guys know what instruments are used, say like when your creating a remix?

Last edited:
The remake in my sig comes pretty close? How?
By searching my plug-ins for sounds that sounded the same or close.
Then adding the effects that made them sound even more similar.
It´s a trial and error thing but it sure helps to know your plug-in arsenal.

Many producers (including me) haven´t taken time to go through all patches in their arsenal.

I beleive everyone should do that every know and then. But sure - time consuming as heck.

But most of all - it´s an ear thing. The more you work the better you get at it.
At first it´s very hard to separate a sound from others when listening to a whole mix. I guess w all were there.
Then it just gets better and easier. And there is no shortcut; just work hard.

Last edited:
Damn. I was hoping for a 'o shit you haven't heard of this site?!' response. Lol.

I can see that very time consuming. But probably more impossible in my case. Im new with FL Studio 10, and i've only downloaded 10-15 or so sound kits and a couple VST's. It seems as if all the good ones are exspensive, and was not something I was expecting to have to pay for when I bought FL. Any good free kits or VST's anyone would reccomend until I save up a bit?

fundamentally there is only the ear to rely on;

you need to learn what instruments are what in terms of the acoustic ones (orchestral and pop music instruments including guitars of all ilk),

what fx have been added to certain instruments (only way is to either look up the performer or observe live videos, at least to begin with) - I can recognise most of the Boss foot pedals simply from having used most of them at the start of the 80's;

then hunt and peck for the basic synth that might have been used or at least scan and span your sample library to know what is where - understanding basic subtractive synthesis doesn't hurt your process as you can identify waveform, adsr and filter settings if you have done enough basic work with this type of synthesis (been doing it since 1978 myself)

i.e. nothing beats experience and focused listening - if you don't what a sound is ask a question here, lo\ts of folks who are more than happy to have a listen and tell you what it could be or how to create for yourself

if you produce for a while you can identify sounds.. that's how i know what instruments/melodys are being used.. it comes with timee..

I think it's only that you have to listen to a lot of music and like someone said, it will come with time that you recognize what instrument is what....but seriously, for me, it doesn't necessary to know the exact instruemnt.....it's more about the sound by itself.....and if you want to reproduce that sound....you just go and try to mimic the sound....

Its normally a hunch... While spending time with things you learn their character. I used to not be able to, now i can say things like "oh, Thats a REAL TR808" or " That is a juno 106". and 95% of the time be right about it.

Back