Beginner Producer

roryjavant

Hey you guys,

I am rather new to producing. Right now my funds are very limited and I do not have any gear, aside from Logic Pro. I am currently working with ear buds for headphones and built in I-Mac speakers. My question is, with my limited setup right now, what would be most efficient for me to practice under these terms. i.e. song structure, reading books, tutorials, etc. etc. I should have the funds within the next 2 months to purchase a decent set of monitors, but until that time, what should I be practicing?

disclaimer: What I have been doing is attempting to make tracks with this limited setup, read, and watch tutorials. This may be what I am needing to do. Just wanted to hear some experienced producers thoughts.

Thanks,

Rory

What genre(s) are you interested in? Why are your funds limited? Instead of Logic Pro, find a DAW that has a free trial so you can try out different ones before sinking money on something you won't use. Ear buds are a no-no so research headphones within your budget. Computer speakers are never ideal for creating music.

Last edited:
House mainly at the moment. I don't see why you are asking me why my funds are limited as it is irrelevant. Also, I understand that ear-buds suck and computer speakers are not ideal, which is why I asked the question that I did, How can I progress with what I have now. I've tried several DAW's and find that I like Logic. I'm sorry, not to be mean, but your answer was not beneficial. Thank you anyways.

Get as many tutorials in as you can in the meantime I'd say. And no matter how crap the tutorial, force yourself to follow along, no matter how simple. You usually always pick up something! Busyworks beats has some really nice ones. Take whatever melody they're using, switch it up and make it your own. Even if a tutorial isn't using your style of music, just learn, learn and learn some more! ;)

I would just start working on your beats. You don't need a lot of equipment to start making beats. You do need to get better headphones or some mixing monitors but until then I would just work with what you have.

I would suggest some open back headphones their are plenty online just do some research and as far as learning music production go to youtube and type busyworksbeats he uses fl but they have other people on his channel who use logic but the music theory and workflow he teaches can be applied to any daw

I wouldn't say you need monitors at the moment, but you would definitely need some decent headphones. As far as working on your craft goes, just play with a lot of effects and plugins on Logic and search for some free sounds and VST's on the internet. For loops and sounds I suggest looperman.com as a starting place. Now another thing I would suggest is looking up tutorials on what genre of music you like making. I honestly think that's the best way to go about learning things. And the last thing I suggest is researching information on the music industry such as Copyrights, music placements, sales, contracts, and etc. so you won't have to do too much in the future. But for now, focus on your craft bro. Take it Easy!

Also, don't be too discouraged on using earbud's. I used them when I first started making music and even not too long ago. You just gotta have a good ear. But I still suggest getting a good pair of headphones like I mentioned before. I suggest Audio Technica M50x's, but that all depends on your budget.

Yes this is fine in my opinion but you'd definitely want to get monitors and a decent pair of headphones. With monitors you may drive everyone in your house mad with your loops playing over and over all day. Headphones is a must not ear buds. they will damage your ears and does not give you enouggh sound mix on.

Back