Beats for free?

DaBomb

Now i know the topic of broke ass rappers has been covered several times.

but Im tryna gain some understanding on this.....

Im not a producer who's above sellin beats for da low or even giving beats away for free.... I take philosophy that beats arent like oil. Its very renewable. And they are something that in a certain sense you just pull from your head so you should be able to make as many as you want......

BUT why would i give my beats for free to rappers wit no fan base? Like if Jeezy wanted my beat for free. Den yeah im all for it. Or if an up and coming rapper wanted to start a partnership den yeah i might do it.

But why da hell would i give beats too a rapper dats got less den 500 friends on myspace free beats? What da hell is he doin for me? Why does he feel like he's doin me a favor?

If I found a rapper with the same potential as Jeezy with no fan base I'd give him as many beats as he wanted, I'd help him build a fan base. Its about building relationships.

The thing is ... you don't need to GIVE anything to anybody. Set up an arrangement where you allow them a conditional use license ... they can use your stuff for live shows or whatever. As long as they don't get paid ... you don't get payed ... it's exposure for both of you. If there's money involved you split it 50/50 until such time as he wants to put some other arrangement together. You make it clear that he only bhas it exclusive for x number of weeks/months, and you renew as necessary.

Any rapper who won't agree to that is just playing you.

its funny... im a producer and i still get free beats from a few people... i have no fan base but i kill ****... u dont have to currently have a fan base to get on... i just look at how their **** sounds...

dansgold said:
The thing is ... you don't need to GIVE anything to anybody. Set up an arrangement where you allow them a conditional use license ... they can use your stuff for live shows or whatever. As long as they don't get paid ... you don't get payed ... it's exposure for both of you. If there's money involved you split it 50/50 until such time as he wants to put some other arrangement together. You make it clear that he only bhas it exclusive for x number of weeks/months, and you renew as necessary.

I like this Idea.

dansgold said:

Thanks for da knowledge... but i just got a question. If your doing business online or even locally for that matter. How do you ensure that your gettin paid for him performing the show and using your beat? Is it just trusting him to do it. Because if your not their to see it or have someone let you know how will you ever know hes using it in performances or sellin it on a local mixtape.

Perosnnaly Id make a beat for mostly anyone

I see it as just more experience

but ideally it'd be a vocalist who had something I liked about them

in that case Id ask for the acapella too and try to craft something..maybe a remix

As far as giving beats for free, thats upto you...

I usually save my best beats for myself

Perosnnaly Id make a beat for mostly anyone

I see it as just more experience

but ideally it'd be a vocalist who had something I liked about them

in that case Id ask for the acapella too and try to craft something..maybe a remix

As far as giving beats for free, thats upto you...

I usually save my best beats for myself

I think its funny how some of these beatmakers I see online be acting like they're Just Blaze or DJ Premier or Dr. Dre or one of them doodz. Everyone starts somewhere so why act like youre making house money for a beat?

I think good rapping is just as difficult as good beat making. Both can be rewarding if your GREAT at it. Some of you cats need to get real about where youre at before you make dumb ass comments like, if jeezy wanted my beat. If Jeezy or any other big name wanted your beat you wouldnt be a no name beatmaker for long. And if your beats were good as you thought you'd have money from selling/leasing rights and rappers would be knoccing your door down for your stuff..... don't u think?!?!?!

FuGiTiVe_beatz said:
I think its funny how some of these beatmakers I see online be acting like they're Just Blaze or DJ Premier or Dr. Dre or one of them doodz. Everyone starts somewhere so why act like youre making house money for a beat?

I think good rapping is just as difficult as good beat making. Both can be rewarding if your GREAT at it. Some of you cats need to get real about where youre at before you make dumb ass comments like, if jeezy wanted my beat. If Jeezy or any other big name wanted your beat you wouldnt be a no name beatmaker for long. And if your beats were good as you thought you'd have money from selling/leasing rights and rappers would be knoccing your door down for your stuff..... don't u think?!?!?!

Man im da last nigga that's cocky about **** I do.... I KNOW i got a lotta work to do. I KNOW I aint Just Blaze. I KNOW THIS ****. And even if I was good az Blaze I wouldnt act like I was......

BUT you act like rappers dont act like dey AS BIG AS JEEZY. Compare producers to Rappers....generically who's gonna be the most COCKY AND OVER CONFIDENT. THE RAPPER IS. and dats da point of my post.

If i give him a FREE beat how is he doin me a favor? If he doesnt have a fanbase how is my beat gettin heard whether he's great or not? Hell whether Im great or not?

And cats are assuming dat rappers without skillz dont ask for free beats. Those are the MOST likely to ask for free beats......

There's a fine line between bein smart and givin away beats for promo and relationships and then theres bein dumb and givin away beats to lazy no talent artists and settin up da image dat u can be worked over....

and by da way anybody should know it aint just about havin hot ass beats. Because even if I was as good as Just Blaze if Im not gettin heard I still wont have artists "beatin down my door"

DaBomb said:
Man im da last nigga that's cocky about **** I do.... I KNOW i got a lotta work to do. I KNOW I aint Just Blaze. I KNOW THIS ****. And even if I was good az Blaze I wouldnt act like I was......

BUT you act like rappers dont act like dey AS BIG AS JEEZY. Compare producers to Rappers....generically who's gonna be the most COCKY AND OVER CONFIDENT. THE RAPPER IS. and dats da point of my post.

If i give him a FREE beat how is he doin me a favor? If he doesnt have a fanbase how is my beat gettin heard whether he's great or not? Hell whether Im great or not?

And cats are assuming dat rappers without skillz dont ask for free beats. Those are the MOST likely to ask for free beats......

There's a fine line between bein smart and givin away beats for promo and relationships and then theres bein dumb and givin away beats to lazy no talent artists and settin up da image dat u can be worked over....

and by da way anybody should know it aint just about havin hot ass beats. Because even if I was as good as Just Blaze if Im not gettin heard I still wont have artists "beatin down my door"
RELAX HOME SLICE....... IM JUST STATING MY OPINION.

AND I DISAGREE WITH YOU SO IMMA ADRESS IT, DONT GET ALL FIRED UP PLAYA. WHAT IM SAYING IS YOU SOUND PRETTY COCKY 2 ME..... THATS MY OPINION.

U SAID>>>

THATS LIKE SAYING I SHOULD CHARGE YOU TO RAP ON URE BEAT...... CUZ IM NICE AND I HAVE A FAN BASE. PLUS I NEVER HEARD OV YOU!!! SO IF YOU WANT A RAPPER OF MY CALIBER ON YOUR BEAT, YOU HAVE TO PAY ME. <<<THIS STATEMENT IS VERY TRUE, BUT SOUNDS HELLA COCKY DONT IT?

YOU SHOULD BE MAKING BEATS CUZ YOU LOVE TO MAKE BEATS, NOT BECAUSE YOU WANNA GET PAID. SAME WITH RAPPERS. IF YOUR REALLY AS GOOD AS YOU THINK YOU ARE THE DOE WILL COME TO YOU.

IT AINT ABOUT DOIN FAVORS ITS ABOUT BUILDING A RESUME. ITS A FACT THE MORE TALENTED RAPPERS YOU GOT ON URE BEATS THE BETTER IT IS FOR YOUR PORTFOLIO IN THE END......
YOU CANT GET PAID WITHOUT THE RAPPER MAKING YOUR BEAT A HIT!! SO MAYBE A GOOD RAPPER SHOULD CHARGE YOU TO RAP ON URE BEAT....... IT GOES BOTH WAYS.

ITS DOODZ LIKE YOU THAT MADE ME JUMP INTO THE BEAT GAME MYSELF. I DONT LIKE HAVING TO DEPEND ON SOMEONE DEPENDING ON ME.....<<<OXYMORONIC AINT IT??

then theres bein dumb and givin away beats to lazy no talent artists and settin up da image dat u can be worked over....

HOW DO YOU KNOW YOURE NOT A LAZY NO TALENT BEATMAKER?
THESE FROOTY LOOP PRODUCERS THESE DAYS THAT DONT KNOW
WHAT THE WORD "PRODUCER" REALLY MEANS MAKE ME LAFF...<NOT REFFERING TO U, BUT ID LIKE TO PEEP UR PORTFOLIO AS WELL AS KNOW WHAT GEAR U USE>

IF YOU FEEL LIKE YOUR BEATS ARE WORTH IT, TRY TO SELL EM.
MAKE SURE YOU DONT INFRINGE ANY COPYRIGHTS IN THE PROCESS, AND DO YOU. YOUR BEATS WILL ONLY MATTER IF "OTHER" PEOPLE SAY THEYRE WORTH IT, NOT U!

I REMEMBER WHEN SOULJA BOY WAS DOING HIS THING ON SOUNDCLICK...... CATS WAS HATING ON DOOD SOMTHING FIERCE! AND LOOK THAT CORNY CAT WITH THEM CANDY LAND FROOTY LOOP BEATS IS GETTING HIS PAPER ON.... MY POINT? THE PEOPLE DECIDE WHAT IS GOOD ART OR NOT, NOT U.

ON THAT NOTE DO LIKE THAT CAT OBI AND LET IT BE KNOWN YOU DONT DO THE FREE BEAT THING AND KEEP IT PUSHING, BUT DONT COMPLAIN ABOUT IT.... YOU SHOULD BE EXCITED THAT CATS ARE FEELING YOUR BEATS ENUFF TO ASK FOR THEM.

THEY THINK THEYRE THE NEXT JEEZY AND YOU THINK YOURE THE NEXT SWIZZY....LOL....GOOD LUCK!! ;)

Last edited:
Giving away Free beats online is a pretty good idea too, if it's used as a promotion method. Those FREE Beats you give away are being downloaded by potential leads, so you just gotta make sure that you can set up a way to grab their emails with an opt-in page before you let them Download the free beats. This way you can build a list of potential prospects that you can E-mail whenever you have new beats ready to be sold and you won't have to keep finding new customers all the time.

I have too much self respect to ever work with Jeezy.

I would give free beats to skilled rappers easily. Just gotta give me credit wherever possible, ya know?

Excess Deft said:
I have too much self respect to ever work with Jeezy.

I would give free beats to skilled rappers easily. Just gotta give me credit wherever possible, ya know?

WHATS WRONG WITH JEEZY?

if an artist came to me askin for my beats, this is my philosophy:
if i think u're a sick mc, i'll give u my beats for free
if i think u're wack, u ain't gettin them (unless u offer a stupid amount of money)

Back