Assigning samples to keys on my keyboard? (FL Studio)

borealisbeats

Greetings! I have just recently started fooling around with FL Studio, and as you can imagine I am feeling a bit like I'm trying to read a book in
a foreign language. Anyway, after watching some tutorials on youtube, I have now decided to give sampling a go.
But I hate the piano-roll, I want to assign each "slice" of the sample to a key on my keyboard (my regular keyboard, I don't have a MIDI keyboard), so that I can get the melody/feel that I want.
I tried googling it, but it didn't enlighten me very much.

I was gonna post a link that shows Apollo Brown making the "Megaphone" beat on the Daily Bread album, but apparantly I'm not allowed to post links as a new user..
If it's unclear; I want to be able to play my chops using my regular keyboard.

I hope someone can help a lost rookie out :)

In all the daws i played with it seems you can assign anything to everything except a few obscure knobs.
can connect your stuff to fpc or directwave, or slicex itself

Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping someone can help me with the issue though, remember I don't have any hardware, just a normal keyboard.

You could use FPC to assign your chops/slices to any note on your keyboard. If you didn't know , the top row of your keyboard (1, 2, 3, and 4) is the black keys on the piano for octave 5 ( the root note for these keys is already set). Below that row is the white keys for octave 5 (q, w, e, and r). Below that row is the black keys for octave 4 (a, s, d, f, and g). and below that row is the white keys for octave 4 (z, x, c, and v).
On the white keys for octave 4, M is the last note in that row until you go up an octave and / is the note in that row that will play.
, = Q .= w and /= E
For the white keys in octave 5 , U is the last note in that octave until you go up to octave 6.

If you're using FPC this is important because you can assign any slice/chop of a sample to any key. You need to know the range of your keys, nothing on your keyboard is under octave 4 or over octave 5 ( this is set automatically and it can me changed to different octave ranges).

Once you open FPC you would want to go to presets and select empty, this will clean out the samples already set on the pads. You then want to drag each slice to a separate pad. To select the note you want to use for that slice you want to go to the box under the file selector and click on the note next to Midi notes, once you do this all the notes you can choose will pop up, select a note., for example, slice 1 = Q, which is really C5 (note C octave 5). Then in the same box set your cut to 1, cut by to 1, and output to 1, this will prevent the samples from over lapping when you play them. You must do this to every note before you record your melody. At first it might take a while but once you get the hang of it its quick and easy.

Back