Asr-10 Quantizing Help!

beatmaker18

When I make a sequence what do I quantize to? Because my drums are always of. I heard quantizing to 1/16 is the best but my beat still sounds of.

it really depends on the beat. sometimes other values r best but I would say 1/16 1/16t 1/32 and 1/32t are the best sometimes 1/8 and 1/8t work too depends on how tight u want the timing to be and the insturment

beatmaker18 said:
When I make a sequence what do I quantize to? Because my drums are always of. I heard quantizing to 1/16 is the best but my beat still sounds of.

it depends on whether you are using loops or seperate sounds.
If you are using loops then you want to quantise to whole measures, if you are using seperate sounds then you want to quantise the hi-hats to say 16ths, then the kick drums to quarter notes and so on to tighten up the timing. you can "shift tracks by clock" on the asr to make sure you haven't over tightened things - it basically offsets tracks by a few quantisation ticks either ahead or behind clock, you can specify which direction but I would advise you read the manual to understand it and its only partly relevent to your question.
for your real answer YOU MUST - go to youtube and type asr10 in the search box. there are some instruction vids made by ensoniq. 1 of them shows how to quantise properly and I BET you don't even understand how to quantise by key ranges right?? That is probably the cause of your problem - one of the videos explains it excellently. look for the videos with the guy wearing the terrible 80's shirt. Thats the guy who invented the thing. be patient and watch him explain quantising. you'll be glad you did.
one thing which i don't think he mentions is about truncating sequences - ALWAYS TRUNCATE your sequences. read the manual on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
the ensoniq boards r mad annoying to quantize on yo. Trust me Black u should just keep your mp.

I would never get rid of my MPC.... I would use my MPC as a sequencer and the ASR as the sampler espescially because it has non-destructive chopping...
Peace
S II

Don't get me wrong, the MPC is a dope a** machine, but I want that non destructive sampling...
Peace
S II

Back