ASCAP and LEGAL q/s

perfectprint

A.
how are you supposed to join ascap before you have anything published? according to the ASCAP form it looks as if im gonna have to wait until the joint i coproduce gets releasd. im just trying to get everying organised and taken care of so i dont get screwed over. if im getting royalties dont i need to get my ascap before the albums out??

B.
anyone have any experience with co-production agreements. the manager of the artist is looking to get down on one for the track and is asking for 30%. i havnt been able to find any online, but will be talking to lawyers this week. does this sound reasonable if he is handling the recording session.

if any one could help out it would be appreciated. (trying to get as much of a grasp as possible before wasting $$ talking to lawyers) thanks.

perfectprint said:
A.
how are you supposed to join ascap before you have anything published? according to the ASCAP form it looks as if im gonna have to wait until the joint i coproduce gets releasd. im just trying to get everying organised and taken care of so i dont get screwed over. if im getting royalties dont i need to get my ascap before the albums out??

B.
anyone have any experience with co-production agreements. the manager of the artist is looking to get down on one for the track and is asking for 30%. i havnt been able to find any online, but will be talking to lawyers this week. does this sound reasonable if he is handling the recording session.

if any one could help out it would be appreciated. (trying to get as much of a grasp as possible before wasting $$ talking to lawyers) thanks.

well i am signing up wit ASCAP myself but i havent read over everything yet...so i cant really help you there...but that manager is raping who ever he is trying to deal wit here....10-20% is standard for the sale of tracks....some say 20% is too high, but 30% is definately very steep

Yeah you are right. to register as a writer with ASCAP you have to have at least one commercially released CD or publicly performed piece (radio or tv etc). But you don't need to worry. As soon as there is a release date and sales to a distributor you can register. The way they sample radio play you won't miss anything.

tinycat said:
Yeah you are right. to register as a writer with ASCAP you have to have at least one commercially released CD or publicly performed piece (radio or tv etc). But you don't need to worry. As soon as there is a release date and sales to a distributor you can register. The way they sample radio play you won't miss anything.

Make sure you join twice, as a writer and as a publishing...

1. Read the form carefully, it states I thinkon option B that you have music on a form of electonic media (ie, radio, tv, internet)

put some work on soundclick or myspace and you're good to go.

2. are you saying the other artist[producer] is looking for a 30% split, so you'll only get 20%. Usually a track is split 50-50 vocals and instrumentals. I'm assuming the artist who is performing the track is also the other producer. so he'll get 80% and you 20%. try to negociate to 75-25. as a producer(not an executive producer) but just for one track the artist and the executive producer are responsible for the cost of the recording, not you. Keep in mind you'll only get paid after all cost are paid. so you are paying for the session to. But if this is an oppunity that might pay off, I won't really risk the deal over a measly 5%.

I can't spell.

Back