Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ascap

Thanks

Ascap

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey I was watching a video of a producer talking about signing to ASCAP. He showed how much money he made and tried to explain how producers can easily make money. He didn't do a very good job of actually explaining what ASCAP does. I was wondering if anyone can enlighten me.
    -Dillon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyBlimp View Post
    Hey I was watching a video of a producer talking about signing to ASCAP. He showed how much money he made and tried to explain how producers can easily make money. He didn't do a very good job of actually explaining what ASCAP does. I was wondering if anyone can enlighten me.
    -Dillon
    Companies like ascap, bmi and sesac collcect your royalty payments. For further explanation, check out these sites

Ascap They explain their service, rates etc
    Ascap vs bmi ascap/bmi comparison
    Last edited by Cyko; 07-08-2014 at 08:36 AM.

Thanks
    They are Publishing Rights Organizations designed to collect royalties from when your music is played, BMI, ASCAP, SESAC, CDBaby, it's not easy though, they pay about 6 cents a spin so if your song gets played 1 million times on spotify you only make 60,000

Thanks
    That was actually really helpful, thank you. Do you use one of these PRO's? Im guessing they don't help you get your music used by the TV shows, Radio, Restaurants etc. (All the things that they named) Is it even worth signing up if your not at the level where you can get your music used by places that they mentioned?

Thanks
    I'm with ASCAP, no they dont help you with placements but it's always good to be prepared and if you're selling beats, always register them. If you end up getting a placement with someone mainstream, it's not uncommon for that song to get millions of plays

Thanks
    I also don't really understand what they do, I have read through their website and it all makes sense now but there's still one thing I dont understand. How do they actually collect the money? Say your song gets played in a restaurant, does the restaurant pay ASCAP before they are allowed to play the song?

Thanks
    yep, try to find a jukebox around you, they ALWAYS say "licensed by ASCAP, BMI, SESAC"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bendorr View Post
    yep, try to find a jukebox around you, they ALWAYS say "licensed by ASCAP, BMI, SESAC"
    I haven't seen a jukebox in 6 years lol

Thanks
    Cool Im guessing you just register them through ASCAP like they said in that video. So how do you go about getting your placements. I mean i know how you get songs to artists through networking and contacts but how do you approach getting the restaurants and tv show placements. This dude on youtube had his statement from BMI, it was like 25 grand total in royalties paid off because he got an instrumental on a TV show opening credits.

Thanks
    I couldnt give you tips on placements, its all hustle and knowing the right people, and talent and skills

Thread Information