Anyone Use ProTools Here?

Bigg Mac

Cuz I been thinkin of gettin an Mbox or something, but I need to hear from people who used it. How is ProTools? Does the Mbox have enough connections?

Mbox is outdated. Look into getting some M-Audio hardware and ProTools M-Powered.

I like my mbox its tight if u ask me. If u need more inputs then the mbox go for the digi 002 rack or digi 002 or tru the m-powered prootools, the m-audio 410 and 1884 soundcards are nice!

~Digi 002 rack w/o plugins
http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-DIG-MX002R.html

~Digi 002 w/o plugins
http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-DIG-MX002.html

~m-audio 1814
http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-MII-FW1814.html

m-audio 410
http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-MII-FW410.html

Here's a video u can watch 2 show how my homie tracks from his motif rack and mpc 2000 xl into cubase. Its the same way wit my MV-8000 and mbox for me playa. Just to give u a idea.

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~jason12/cubase_tracking_lofi.WMV

I'm not a fan of the mbox mainly because it doesn't give you any room to grow. I have a 002 and I love it. Pro Tools isn't some magical program thats gonna take your music to the next level just because you use it, but In terms of it work flow its the most intuitive program I've used (I've tried/used cubase, ill Logic, and Sonar). If your using it for tracking mixing and editing audio its a monster and smooth to use. I don't use it for sequencing much though, I've only done basic midi tasks and haven't come across anything that I needed to do midi wise that I couldn't. Now that they have come out with the M-powered version you might want to check out some of the maudio interfaces.

I use the Mbox with Pro Tools LE. The software is the best, hands down. You can do anything and everything as far as editing and mixing goes. Thats why all the studios use the program.

I'd rather have the 002 than the Mbox because the Mbox doesn't have MIDI I/O's and it only has two inputs. But the Mbox works.

If you do decide to get Pro Tools, take a course on the program so you know it in and out. If you don't, you won't realize ALL the possibilities it gives you.

- Tone

Pase said:
Pro Tools isn't some magical program thats gonna take your music to the next level just because you use it

Yeah, I know, it's just that I like the fact that it's the format that most studios use, so all I'd have to do is send the studio the Pro Tools file. And I like that everythings integrated. I'll prolly either go wit the Mbox or the Digi 002 rack.

so Pro Tools is hands down way better than Cubase SX or is it just that pro tools is industry standard?? could i have pro tools software and just track my beats in there if i have them as audio files on my computer already?? how does that work..

HighSchoolKid said:
so Pro Tools is hands down way better than Cubase SX or is it just that pro tools is industry standard?? could i have pro tools software and just track my beats in there if i have them as audio files on my computer already?? how does that work..

I can'tsay, cuz I aint try either one yet. I'm waiting to go on a trip downtown to Sam Ash.

Neither pro tools or cubase is better than the other. Pro tools strength is audio editing and the fact that its alot more stable than Cubase. Cubase to me has better midi editing. Both are user friendly(well off hand i dont have as much experience with pt as with cubase) but both are good programs

I have the MBox... My equipment I use: Roland Fantom, MPC 1000, Triton..
So the MBox is cool for me, but if I want more input/output Ill use my friends tascam board. I am about to but one myself becuz theyre only like $400 at guitar center.......

I use both but prefer cubase. I use the digi 002r at home and everything is pretty much routed to that. Imho stability depends on the computer, parts used and stress the machine is taking. Have you asked yourself what you plan on doing? If you require a high track count pro tools le (the version you'll be receiving) has a 32 voice limit. You can have more than 32 tracks but only 32 of them will be audible at the same time.

I built my pc from scratch and the only apps I have on it are music apps. No microsoft word, no internet capabilities, no games. Nothing.

RON KINDLER said:
Have you asked yourself what you plan on doing? If you require a high track count pro tools le (the version you'll be receiving) has a 32 voice limit. You can have more than 32 tracks but only 32 of them will be audible at the same time.

Well I doubt I'll need more than 32 tracks playing at one time.

Mbox is cool I use it i have no problems with it I only have a keyboard and an mpc to connect to it so its cool
But if your concerned about ins/outs you could buy mbox and get a mixer?
or you can get 002 which should be good for you!

Bigg Mac said:
Cuz I been thinkin of gettin an Mbox or something, but I need to hear from people who used it. How is ProTools? Does the Mbox have enough connections?

Im not sure what direction you wanna head with your music so ill suggest this. If you wanna take it on as a full time career its best to get familar with it now. Im building a private studio thats gonna work with major record labels. All ive heard from my PR guy is "They say we have to have Pro Tools available". Of course I know that....but its literally a industry must and important to know.

From a user perspective. Depending on how comfortable you become with it. Your music will come out with crystal clear quality. However your gonna have dry runs because it is a professional piece of equipment that asks you to know frequencies. But not to worry there are many presets available as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back