Am I too old to get started in music production?

mfvillain

I'm 27 now and I just started using Fruity Loops and music theory like a few weeks ago. I feel like I'm too old to be doing this stuff compared to the hot producers in the industry who are between 18-21 years old and have more experience than me and already made it.

The great thing about music production is that age really doesn't matter at all. As long as you are able to create something quality and fresh, you will be successful. Plus producing music can be a career as well as a hobby. I love producing music and I plan to continue it for as long as I am able to whether I make money or not. If you are trying to turn producing music into a career, I suggest you start working hard on learning and developing a sound because you'll probably be broke a long while before you start making decent money. That's one reason why its best to start out young before you have bills and responsibilities to take care of.

Dude, c'mon. I'm 30yo, and have been producing for 4 months now. I'd say that we can't get old to create good, creative things.

Old??!!! Nahhh I don't think so, you're not old at all to start producing...I'm mucvh older than you and I'm making music for my singer who is also older than you so......there's really no age to start making music!!!

No way buddy !!! Music is something that is timeless meaning age is nothing to worry about so if you want to make beats then get into it !!

Dont worry about the others out there either, if they can do it just means we all can too ;)

.Yes, you are too old. Get a real job.

if he has to ask if he's too old to be a producer then I agree with you Desire Inspires

I hate that rap producers have a age hang-up
in other genres producers work up into their 50's and even 60's
get over the age thing
make music
make it make you money

producers are behind the scene
nobody cares about your age

and at 27 you think you're too old

I'm 34 and going hard at this

-Coach Antonio

your never too old unless you physically can't do something. Follow your passions, forget what other people think about it.

I WISH I had started when I was 27. I'm in my late forties, now, and just getting started. Still working out my kit. Not sure if it's going to go anywhere, but I've had an itch to make beats for as long as I can remember (which isn't all that long, considering my age and past indulgences :)). I am always tapping my feet, finger and steering wheel drumming, beat-boxing, etc. Yes, I am THAT guy. A few months back, I was inspired by Deadmau5 and DubFX videos on YouTube to finally do something about it. So, good luck to you and seize the day, my friend! -Ed

#1 Music has no age limit.

#2. The upper level music producers (in hip-hop, pop, etc) are in their late 20's all the way up to damn near 50 anyway.

So no, go for it!

Back