Am I an alien or what?

P

psyonic

OK - there's newbie questions and there's newbie questions. But I think I'm on a different planet here. Please just put me out of my misery and abject embarrasment and explain this to me:

I have a midi cable coming out of my soundcard joystick port. It has two standard, round, midi connectors on the other end, one with "In" written on it, the other with "Out". This I can deal with.

I also have a midi keyboard, with two, um, holes, for said cables. Again, one with "In", the other "Out". Now I'd assume that the connector with "In" on it would go in the hole with "In" on it. But that did't work.

So I thought; well, what if "In" on the connector doesn't mean "connect this to the "In" hole of the keyboard" but actually means "this carries data to go "In" to the pc" - in which case that connector would want to be going into the "Out" hole on the keyboard.

That didn't work either.

So where am I? Does an "In" go to an "In" or does an "In" go to an "Out"? Please help me before I wake up in some twisted nightmarish Hokey Cokey with no idea of where to stick it. I'm dyin' here.

[m00gle]

I love your signature :D
Hey WELCOME to onlineDJ psyonic.

Ok let me help you

PC MIDI IN > KEYBOARD MIDI OUT
PC MIDI OUT > KEYBOARD MIDI IN

NOW.... when you say "it does not work" let me tell you... MIDI does NOT contain ANY audio data.. MIDI is just a computer language to CONTROL settings and notes. I meant hat to hear any sound coming out of your keyboard, you need to plug the audio outpurt of your keyboard on an amplifier or a mixer..

This said, you also need to have a SEQUENCER on your computer, such as CUBASE or CAKEWALK.. I would start by using CAKEWALK as it is very cheap, easy to use, and will do the job.

In CAKEWALK, you will see tracks. on each track, you have to assign a MIDI CHANNEL (from 1 to 16) and you need also to select your MIDI OUT so cakewalk SENDS DATA TO THE RIGHT OUTPUT.

Then you can click on the screen and start composing yoru melodies etc..

of course, i could write 500 pages about how to use all this together.. but from there you will figure out a lot of things.

do not hesitate to post more questions.

also.. what is the model of your keyboard? is it a synth with sounds or is it just a simple midi controller?

[Edited by ManoOne on 02-15-2001 at 11:18 AM]

I am a duck who has flown here from his home planet of "Quackonia 7)

I guess i'm both a martian and a duck. :p

Thanks for clearing that up for me - to give a little more info, it's just a midi controller keyboard that I've bought to plug into Reason (WHAT a top bit of software), but despite Reason being easy as a dead easy fing to setup, I've tried pretty well every setting I can with no luck. So at least I can play with midi channels, resason settings and all that fun-filled malarkey again now, knowing that at least I've plugged it in right.

It's also nice to know I've given others the opportunity to come out about being, er, ducks or aliens. Or Duckliens. If anyone knows about midi, it's going to be an alien duck from Quackonia 7. :)

Ta fer the help..

psyonic.

GREAT!

ok you just want to use the keyboard to control REASOn then?
Dead easy! excellent.

did you get it to work?

let me know, I will help you with the exact steps to configure the REASON options so you can play in realtime any device of REASON

I love Reason as well, because I can tell any newbie "get this, its all you need" knowing that he will learn a LOT about the real equipment by using reason, etc..

reply here with your questions!

hey mano how much does reason usually run in usd? also i read the part about putting a gif in your signature but i still dont know what to do. im pretty crappy at understanding the computer stuff.

How much Reason costs...

Hehhe, my message icon looks like a bald orange.... :D

Anyways... How much does this awesome software called Reason cost in US Dollars? $399 USD.

A steep price, but well worth it.

Check it out at http://www.propellerheads.se

-------------
Send your free beer now!
Mmmm... Beer.com :)
:cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back