Ableton Live + MPD

B

big timothy

What I'm trying to do is control Impulse, Live's Drum machine, with my MPD16. Everything else that can be controlled by midi is working, when i turn on the midi switch to set the parameters that will be controlled by my MPD, everything works fine. But, I've yet to find any way to control the actual drum machine so I can play out patterns by midi. So basically, what do I need to do to use my MPD to play out patterns into the sequencer/clip sequencer, using Impulse's sounds?

Thanks

you can do the beat by mouth into a microphone.

soory oohps I meant sorry for my dumb comment,I'm just posting this to get closer to thousand posts.

good luck with that !

Lol well thanks man. I think you've just given me what I need. But does anybody have any other (real) suggestions?

You could go to your local hospital and get a cancer patients impulse !:D :D :D :D Wait a minute that waz a dumb statement,save gas money get your own impulse.simply just put 2 fingers to you neck and time it,then bang out the beat of your heart rate onto your MPD 17.

Damn son you got 200 odd posts you ain't gotta go crazy yet. But seriously anybody else?

I just got an MPD, and have the same problem... work good for everything but impulse? Also I switched from an MPC...anyone know how to make this thing play samples in the style where it holds the sample as long as you hold the note with live 5?

Just look around in the instrument box and where you see Trigger, change it to Gate.

On top of hoping for an answer from the cats on here, Ima keep looking around and see if I can figure it out. I'll let you know if I find something.

Got it. I had to change the note number in the MPD editor program to correspond with the notes on Impulse, and make sure the Bank button on the MPD was lit. Thanks to JWhaaat.

Last edited by a moderator:
so the leftmost pad in impulse is triggered by C3?

I can use the midi map to map C3 to any of the controls on impulse but nothing seems to trigger drums.

I'm using a mpd16 with ableton 5.

bump. why the **** isnt this working for me? my mpd works great...just not for triggering impulse. I definitely have my pads set to C3, D3, E3 etc but nothing happens when I press them. I cant get impulse to work with my computer keyboard either.

edit: FIXED. I needed to set the monitor on my midi track to IN.

Last edited by a moderator:
where are the impulse note assignments

Got it. I had to change the note number in the MPD editor program to correspond with the notes on Impulse, and make sure the Bank button on the MPD was lit. Thanks to JWhaaat.

I just got the MPD 24. Using Live 7. Cannot figure out how to get Impulse to play using the pads. If I am to correspond the pads to the proper impulse notes, where are they assigned. meaning.. How do I know which umpulse button goes to an assigned pad. I can edit the pad on the MDP, but I'm not sure I know to what note number.

thanks

Back