Is an 808 kick and bass the same thing?

peshti

Hey guys just like the title says is an 808 kick and bass the same thing? Because i dont know if I should treat it as a bass or a kick drum? I mean can I play long notes with an 808? I have some 808 kicks in maschine can I use this as bass?

I recommend watching a tutorial on how kick drums are produced with synthesizers and how basses are produced, because there is actually a close realtion to them each other :D (just realized by myself yesterday)

...I mean if we think about the low end kick, every kick is having its "click" (that´s how a friend of mine teached me to call it) it´s that click sound in high and mid frequences in kick drums that you can add to punch the thing up, if you delete this click and increase the release and change attack AND here very important, the pitch envelope of the kick, you have a bass in the end :D...it should be something like that hahha :D

You can replace a bassline with the 808s, or have both in one track and just find a way that they can sound good and clear on the beat. 808s are like the low end(bass) of a kick, that is why they are short. A bassline can be made with long notes and doesnt have to go with the rhythm of the kick.
I prefer using 808s and add a a kick with it.

Last edited:
Back