You know your tracks, but do you actually KNOW your tracks?

haas

Is this just me...I could name probably five out of my hundreds of records. I don't know the names of the tracks or who they're by (but I usually do know the label). I know my records by sight, and when flipping through my crate, I know what each one sounds like, but that's about it. Am I alone here?

As far as remembering the track names forget about that, sometimes I don't even know what they look like anymore. I just know where they're located but I definitely know what they sound like and when to use them.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's something of a problem, that. I know pretty much all of my records, but I keep forgetting what they are and what they look like (my records are packed like mackerel), so if I come to think of a song that would fit really well, many times I don't remember what it is or what it looks like.

for me most importantly is the sound - cover(label) connection. let's say i know that in 95% of the cases.

2. position of track on the wax (70%)
3. producer (60%)
4. name of track (5%)

So when someone asks u to play the latest slimzee (or whichever producer ur really into) dubplate ull be like urrr yeah:D

phewww...

okey.. i'm glad that i'm not the only one who has this problem. i thought that it was just a defect with me, but trying to remember the names and producers of each of my records is a bit over-whelming. but right now i'm working on a remedy to this. i'm trying to rip all of my vinyl.. which really isnt all that quite that much.. maybe around 150 - 200 tracks.. onto my computer.. and when im lodged at the computer.. i'll be able to listen to them for some extra "study time" when im online or just using the computer. hopefully this will help me... :victory:

...right

Yeah I am the same way...I just now what they look like, very rarely remember the name of the artist, or name of the track.

BUT...

I have a friend who knows everything about his tracks. Sometimes he can tell you the year it came out. This guy has like maybe 700 records.

It's kinda disturbing if you ask me.

g

i record my home made mixes on tape and i listen to them in my car. So everebody that drives with me as a passanger keeps on askin' whats the name of that song...so i know my tracks by name

I don't have that many records (50+ probably) and recorded them all to minidisc to listen to when walking to work and such, hence I ended up remembering what they look like and not the names of the tracks
I usually go by what the label or record cover looks like and then the producer. I have a lot of white labels and promos that at best have a picture on the front crudely drawn with a sharpie so trying to go by a track name can get to be confusing.

my mental connection is from the sound to the look of the record. i know some producers, some track names, but mostly where i keep them and what they look like.

if i burned everything to cd i think i'd be quite lost.

THIS brings me to another question...

when you guys go record shopping, do you know what you're looking for? for instance, when you walk in and look at the wall or flip through the bins, what makes you pull a track out and listen to it? me, i typically block off a good 4 hours or so, go and listen to almost every new release and as much in the bins as i can. i just kinda stay in the house genre. sometimes i'll know producers, somtimes it's the labels that i dig...

David,
I am exactly the same way. I pretty much stick to one genre and usually I let my jedi instincts pull me towards a record, but barring that I just grab **** at random off the shelf. I'm also on a bit of a limited budget, only about 3 tracks per paycheck so I have to be pretty picky. Also, I tend to stick to whatever tracks really blew up at the last rave I went to.
Josh

I walk into the record shop around noon on my days of and just tend to grab chunks (10 or so) records and give them all a quick listen to see which ones I like. Once I have a small pile of records I liked, I go through them again and listen to them once again to weed out the ones I really like. As Gobo said - "working with a limited budget".
Then I finally leave the store a couple of hours later around 3 or 4 with a couple of records that I ended up deciding on.

I have an almost ethnically inclined approach to buying records, which goes something like this:

Mattu enters the store, flicks through the house, broken beat and garage crates. Mattu spots a record with a hispanic name (example: Frankie Feliciano, Bobby D'Ambrosio, Miguel Migs) or an African-ish name (example: Obafunke, Mutabaruka, Femi Kuti) on it. Mattu's interest is sparked, and record is stuck under left arm. And so forth.

I tend to look towards records with either interesting titles or names of producers, preferrably on a latin or afro trip. I have a few a things that I always look for on the labels, such as "Shelter mix", "MAW mix", "Osunlade mix" etcetera, and those records always go with me to the listening post.

There are also a few record labels that I somewhat trust, so I always check that out as well.

But to put it simply:

If you have a b!tchin' track that you want Mattu to listen to, release it under the name Manuel Escondido and have Blaze remix it. Also, the more it sounds like something from the past and/or involves a lot of live instrumentation, the more likely I am to get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey all,
ya i don't know every one of my trax names, but do know them on site, and by where they are located... i sometimes go through my records and if i don't recognize something i'll try and mix it into whatever i'm playing... it ups the ante to try and get a good mix on the fly, and then you'll more than likely remember that track in the future...

i'm also into doin a day out to record shop - there have been about three new shops in my city (vancouver) and it's fun to go to each one (about 7 now)... i have a friend who's also into this and it's really fun cuz i like mellower music (reggae/hiphop) and he's into the faster stuff (breakz)...

i also mark the tracks that i really like with little animal stickers that i got from the dollar store... i do this with cds aswell, except i try to say something about the track like "mellow breakz,etc)...

oh i just finished my table for the music gear... hopin to borrow a digi camera this week to post a picture.

later skaters
:monkey:

the record shop guy hooks me up with new stuff when i go there... i have become better at picking out stuff myself by labels and artists, but at first he picked out everything for me.

when I shop, sometimes I'll preview tracks online, then go into the store with a list to cut down on wandering around time.

In the store, I'll look for the labels that have done me well in the past, but mostly it's just a crap shoot.

Like Mattu, I'll take clues from titles (i.e. if it says "mellow late-nite gospel diva vocal mix, it stays on the shelf). I'll also look at the the country of origin (France and Germany almost always get a listen). I try to buy domestic, to stretch my paycheck, but imports are just usually better.

I'm usually also in the store for like 4 hours. I want to leave earlier, but I have a deep fear that if I don't listen to EVERY possible record, I'll miss that one hidden gem and then I'll be the world's worst dj.

It's nice to know you guys shop as arbitrarily as me!

I'll miss that one hidden gem

hahahaha! so true. I can't even go into a thrift shop without spending an hour going through crates of crap Herb Alpert-plays-the-Beatles LPs, Bonnie Tyler and Pat Benatar singles, and Klaus Wunderlich albums, in fear of missing that ultra rare Beloyd or Curtis Anderson 7".

they have names?!?!?

i listen to any mixtape i made and say the artist and maybe the album but songs names... unless they're memorable like venetians snares "dance like you're selling nails" forget it

the most annoying are double packs with white labels...
i always reach for a track off of one when the record playing is nearly over and grab the wrong record don't have time to switch and muddle it horrid.... after my last time of doing this i looked on the record for the a/b/c/d and wrote it on the label with a sharpie... i shoulda done it years ago...

Back