Vestax PMC 05 Humming issue

T

theheights

all of a sudden my mixer is giving this loud hum sound. I even disconnected all the cables and just plugged my headphones into it and i still get a LOUD humming sound. Its really sudden, just happened one day. Ive had the mixer for about 6 or 7 months or so, and i emailed Vestax because im pretty sure i registered it. Anything like this ever happen to any of you guys? Cause im not ready to drop more money on mixers.

-heightsy

Nine times out of ten the humming is coming from a grounding problem. Check to make sure the outlet you are plugging into is properly grounded, then make sure your turntables are grounded (usually to the mixer). If that doesen't work try using a power conditioner or a hum eliminator (both are availible at any good music store).

Hey heightsy,

pick up your mixer and shake it(not too roughly of course) to hear if anything is loose inside. It's most likely a grounding problem however and hopefully you can get some warranty repair on it.

Also I'm sure most people are fine with vestax but I usually had problems with my 05(when I had one). Random things like one channel being WAY LOUDER than the other, rca inputs on the back coming off. Vestax quality sucks in my opinion, and you might want to look into other brands when you make your next mixer purchase.

good luck

yeah thanks.
im sure my tables are hooked up right, and ill try the shaking method.
im thinking about going with a pioneer maybe when i can scrounge up the cash. prob the 707. i actually contacted vestax about it but they gave me the effing runaround, said to take it back to where i bought it. but i dont live in that town anymore...blah blah blah.
anywho, thanks for your help. so when u say grounding problem, do u mean like "inside" the mixer, that maybe a little shaking could fix?

any alternative mixers u can recommend?

NO NO, the shaking will not fix the problem! Shake the mixer gently and listen to hear if something is loose inside. If something rattles when you shake the mixer (gently, of course) then most likely the grounding circuit has come unsoldered somewhere. In order to fix that problem, you would have to take the mixer apart (at least take off the bottom panel) and re-solder those connections. When I had an 05, I bought a broken 05 off eBay for $50 to use as a parts spare. Of course my working mixer wasn't under warranty... Are you positive that the hum is your mixer and not your turntables? It is unlikely that it's the tt's, but it's possible...
Anyway- if you want to know about a good mixer in the price range of the 05, you gotta go with Pioneer 707. Man, that mixer is so dope. xfader tension adjustment is an awesome feature, IMHO. Also, there is the Stanton SA-5 Allies Allstar Beatdown mixer. This one has custom Penny & Giles faders and optical transform switches. P&G faders are oh-so-smooth! I have owned all 3 of these mixers at one point or another. They all have drawbacks and good points. Which one you choose should be based on what you think is most important in a mixer. Good luck!

theheights said:
so when u say grounding problem, do u mean like "inside" the mixer, that maybe a little shaking could fix?

any alternative mixers u can recommend?

Lol...yeah like Nitrous said the shaking is to hear if anything is loose inside. Mixers unfortunately aren't like old school tv's where you could hit the side and it will work again =).

If you are looking for scratch mixers, I second the Pioneer 707. The crossfader is one of the best for scratching right now. My only nit-picks with the 707 is they cheaped out on the upfaders (you will notice the difference between them & the crossfader) & the knobs the used on the faders seem a little high to me.

Rane 56 is still the king though imo. If it's in your budget, try out the Rane and you will notice the difference in feel from any vestax mixers.

I don't have any experience with it but a lot of people recommend the Hak 360 as well.

Nitrous gave good advice but the only thing I trust stanton with is making needles. Granted I never tried their scratch mixers but I have read WAY TOO MANY complaints about build quality that I don't feel I need to.

Also good luck with your mixer.

Back