Things to say over mic (Emcee)

DJ_Mc7

I'm gonna start DJing at a club that actually has a microphone, and I want to be able to make use of it by knowing what to say. I have a kinda cheesy voice over the mic, and combined with cheesy phrases it sounds twice as cheesy.

Saying things like "Check check" and stuff like that makes me sound cheesy as hell...and I don't really know what to say anyways.

Could you guys enlighten me here? Just in case you guys need to know (for phrase-making) the club name is "Players"

as you get more comfortable on the mic those sayings willcome natural... till then just say cheesy stuff

Damn, that's dope. Most dj's I've seen at clubs just talk sh*t over the mic. "Now I'ma ask this one muthaf*ckin time! Who rocks this muf*ckin party betta!!! Fellas!!Ladies!!" Or even just pickin people out the crowd, "Hey you in the red dress! Shake it baby! Don't break it baby!". Or even if you know the songs real well that you're playing and they're classics(which you should), cut the record out at certain times and actually sing the lyrics while encouraging the crowd to participate. I go to a lot of clubs and a lot of that sh*t is off the cuff. I'd also recommend you hit up some clubs and see what the other dj's are doing. If you can ever go to a club with Kid Capri I hear he's a master on the mike. You're lucky. I'm just starting out and it's my dream to play huge clubs. I may not know how to cut and scratch yet, but give me a mic and I can act the damn fool. That part I know I would at least be competent at. How did you get the gig? I bet you get alot of ho's huh?

Last edited:
where are you located? i know a club called players...and im sure there are TONS of others...just wondering if you're around here.

Im not the type of guy to talk on the mic , but as a club goer, i would like to hear drink specials, shout outs, maybe announcements for special events. Just be yourself, the odd hows it going.

Here was another aid that can help you get your 'gameface' together... from back in the day.

Back in the 20th century a lot of us(DJ's) used our dressers, in our bedrooms, as a sturdy DJ table... but, it had one key thing... a mirror. The mirror allowed me to look beyond my turntables, it allowed me to see my expressions while spinning... and it helped me to... control my appearance.(keep following me on this one) I also practiced voice projection. I've listen to cats on the radio, tv, and also my father(who was also a Dj) and these guys didn't use their regular, 'I'm chillin' at the house with my kids' tone. These guys... stepped into a character. Voice projection is a combination of delivery, mood manipulation, and illusion. You can project your voice to sound as professional and educated as a college professor... or you can project your voice to sound smooth and silky as if you were whispering into woman's ear.
Voice projection is going to take some practice, but you can speed things up by really listening to how some of these radio broadcasters, tv personalities, and even standup comedians project themselves... and emulate them and then add your own personal flavor to it.(Turn on the news or an oldie/classic radio station and mimic the announces or personalities. Find a "quiet storm" session and see if you can create that type of sultry audio/visual.)
Here's something my father told me... "whatever you do... do not bring your personal issues to a set. If you had a bad day... the crowd should never know it by your music, your actions, or by the tone of your voice." That is the primary focus point right there... create the illusion.
I'm going to be straight up honest... if you can project yourself, without the use of profanity... you can also open other doors for yourself... such as radio.
Model yourself to become a quick, educated, and confident thinker/speaker... and that will make short work of the learning process.

Just trying to address more than 1 dimension... any questions... just ask. peace

it's going to take lots of practice, you don't just become an MC overnight. rockin a party takes skills, timing, and good observation skills. watch the crowd, see what they respond to during ur mix, if they like lyrics, do as suggested and cut out the music while spittin the punch lines. kid capri is a good party rocker, he knows how to rock the mic. not sounding cheesy is hard, record yourself and listen to yourself at high volume, preferable in a residential district.
LevLove

I actually had a lot of fun doing this. It came out naturally and I didn't pre-plan anything. I think what really helps is to actually "talk" to the crowd by having emotion and using your hands, as if you were talking to someone. It's kind of like when you read a book. There are two ways to read a book: one way is you just read it normally, and the other way is to be the character in the book, and use mannerisms and other stuff that you think the character would use when talking.

But yeah... I had a lot of fun at the end of the night telling people to leave and stuff using some good humour lol

honestly, if you are having a good time and you feel the flow of the music you are playing, emcee sayings should natural flow off of your tongue with the flow of the music.

if you can't feel the flow of your own set, djing is probably not for you.

Read MadMixa's post.

Then re-read it.
Then print it.
Then apply what you have learned.
Put the printed copy away. Way away.

Grow your DJ skills through other avenues.
When you finally book your first "Pro" gig, revisit MadMixa's post.

By then you'll be able to see the wealth of knowledge in that post that didn't catch you while you were working with it.

Back