starting to mix - records/songs/general help

D

dj funkifize

Hi,

I'm getting into mixing coming from the background of a classical percussionist who's into experimental rock/avant-garde classical/old-school hip-hop/etc...

anyway, I've got some records I like and have been buying more since I've been getting into mixing (and a little scratching)... but it seems out of the 20 or so records I've got, I can't get more than 2 or maybe 3 songs that are close enough in tempo to mix...

is it normal to have to get a much bigger collection of records to be able to spin at least a decent 30 minute or hour long set? The records I've got vary from hip hop to downtempo to house to experimental dance music... this is probably one of the reasons I can't find too many songs close enough to mix well. But it seems even with songs that I think might mix well, it turns out the tempos aren't close enough to fix to beatmatch them.

I've been able to get practice with beat matching from the few that do go well... but mostly my concern is what I mentioned already... is this usually the case when starting out?

and when you buy records do you take into consideration if the songs will mix well with the music you already own? I personally wouldn't take that into account, but I was wondering if any of you do? or if it might be something I should think about

thanks in advance for any help
:)

Tyree D. said:
it takes time and practice

Tis' true ^^

However, you mentioned you have only about 20 records and a vary varied scope across the genres. I only have a couple of hundred records and a have a similar scope and I find it extremely difficult to put together a lengthy mix.

Say you take a DJ who is purely 100% into Trance and buys 20 records he/she could probably make a substantial length mix out of that.

Its difficult when starting out because you dont have much material, you just have to keep buying. Even now after two years DJing and 4 years buying vinyl I dont have much material, but then again I am very fussy with my music and quite tight with my money.

Which brings me to your next question, no I wouldn't not buy a record because I thought it wouldnt mix well with everything else. I buy records because I like it, you have to think to the future, it may not mix well with a lot of your collection but in a years time it may mix well with most of your collection if you keep buying music like that one in particular.

thanks beefy, that's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for ...

I'll keep working on beat-matching with what I've got like I've been doing ... it's a drag I can't mix more than a few tunes - but on the bright side, it'll give me plenty of time to learn to beat-match, mix, and get to know my records better

At first i would go to the record store and but 10-12 records at a time with help of a buddy of mine in a genere that i liked. Most tracks were good and there were a few i really liked and still play. It helped me out taking a friend who new the music and could give me advice on what records would be good to learn with. Most of the records now just sit in a crate and collect dust, but they were helpfull in my learning how to beat match and learn theory. Once you know where u want to go with your mixing and what u want to mix, you will find your tack selection becoming much more difficult. Dont know if this helps at all, but thats how i did it.

Back