Stanton Str8-80 vs. Numark TT-200

D

DJ Moggie

Well, I just got back from Minneapolis and while I was there I had a chance to try out both of the above turntables. After testing I have come to the conclusion that the overall "feel" of the Numark is better. The Str8-80 just seemed to light or plastic feeling, but could just be me. As far as looks go however, the Str8-80 wins. It just looks tight with blue LEDs and the tonearm base. But I've decided to get the Numarks, as they just seem more "solid." I also got to try the big techs for the first time (OMG) and I must agree with the hype, they are the shiz. If I had the money and was serious about DJ'in I would snatch these things up so fast. They are built like friggin tanks and somethin 'bout them just feels heavenly.

I fully agree on the STR8, looks bitchin, but doesn't feel it and I wouldn't buy one either. Beyond that I cannot condone buying anything other than Techs, cuz *ahem* that's what i got :D .

Enjoy your decks whichever you get!

BS Here we go... G

i dunno, my opinion is the exact opposite of everyone here...

Dee please eloborate,
I am realy close to getting one of these decks. well not the 80. but the str8-90.

Im conserned with the torque mostly. I want to be able to scratch and not have the platter stop... which i had heard happens with the 80s..... Something I have yet to hear anyone talk about happening with the TT-200s;

skipping im not too worried about, because i have shure m447s and the straight arm should put a stop to any of that.

Anyone else I would love to hear from.

But keep it between just these 2 decks. I know techs rock. I have a sl-1900 that I scratch on at the moment and other that torque (which blows) it is going strong and its from 1970 something. and im not the first owner.

I just want to make a good buy with the $200-$250 I got to spend,

LEV

in a way i have some experience w/ stanton tables b/c ive owned and delt w/ str8-60, 80, and 100 series. For the money i would honestly consider getting a tt-200 b/c overall it feels very solid, better designed tonearm than the str8-80 (b/c u can adjust height thus making your choices of carts better) and u also have the choice of straight and "s" tonearms. Another bad thing bout stanton tables especially the str8-90 and 100 is the construction quality. for $300 u really don't want a table that is mostly made of plastic and poor components; thus i would strongly advise against a Str8-90 or 100.

I have a str8-80 w/ a stanton 500 AL cart on it. It does take a bit to get used to the motor as it doesn't come close to a tech. The only reason I went with the 80 over the numark is mainly because most of the numarks I have used (excluding the tt-2) aren't that great. I haven't tried any of the new ones, including the 200. I also started out with str8-80s and was really happy with how they held up and performed. I also managed to get it for 165 with the cartridge. Those were my reasons

Last edited by a moderator:
change happens tho

Well, also take into account that Numark has aquired the company Alesis, which is known for putting out quality products (from what I've seen in my Sweewater Sound magazine) and as such, has experienced a dramatic rise in item quality. An example of this is the PPD01. I tried this mixer in Minneapolis and it rocks. I like Rane better, but the point is, Numark has increased the quality of their products (so far). Most importantly though, it's all up to the DJ. We should pick the table that suits us and our own feel and needs. I mainly posted this cuz leviathon wanted to hear from me after I came back from the twin cities.

Re: change happens tho

DJ Moggie said:
Well, also take into account that Numark has aquired the company Alesis, which is known for putting out quality products (from what I've seen in my Sweewater Sound magazine) and as such, has experienced a dramatic rise in item quality. An example of this is the PPD01. I tried this mixer in Minneapolis and it rocks. I like Rane better, but the point is, Numark has increased the quality of their products (so far). Most importantly though, it's all up to the DJ. We should pick the table that suits us and our own feel and needs. I mainly posted this cuz leviathon wanted to hear from me after I came back from the twin cities.

I don't know how much the ppd01 rocks but at spin off finals at gc, the mixer craped out on a contestant, thus they let him use the techs and pmc-07 instead. From that i would say the ppd01 is like the alesis air-fx and air-synth, pure junk. Dont get me wrong Alesis makes some good stuff like their recording decks, and i own a ineko and luv it.

Numark ppd01, by the way, is not 'too' reliable mixer.

In general, Stanton vs Numark, the Stanton has shown off better reliability (including STR8-150)

I'm not in the market for new decks, but I would get the Numark TT-200 over the Stantons. My memory from last time I played with the two decks is that the Numark has a more solid feel.

levia7han said:

Im conserned with the torque mostly. I want to be able to scratch and not have the platter stop... which i had heard happens with the 80s
LEV

just my honest opinion, but is it possible to get a lighter touch?

sometimes a featherlight touch is all that is really needed.

Also, how do you compensate for vibrational feedback. I am assuming that you don't have your decks suspended to prevent the vibrations through the pickups... b/c suspended decks will typically require a light touch...

DO scratch DJs never suspend their decks?

louped garou said:

DO scratch DJs never suspend their decks?

Do you mean in one of those "floating" coffins? Yeah, I always wanted to use one of those, but figure it'll be a comedy of errors. Like I'll look supercool standing behind the thing...until it starts swinging like a !@&^$% pendulum and I can't get my hands on the decks.

those floating work for isolation as well -- but my isolation is way more lo tech --

I have twelve empty tuna cans (washed extremely well) that are covered in thick rubberbands (like the ones that come on asparagus/brocolli)

the feet of my TTs rest on the open side of the tuna cans (on top of the rubberbands)

(this is the real old skool NYC method of geting your tables isolated -- you can also use round (or square i guess) restaurant ashtrays instead of the cans)

thing is, I have my speakers pointed towards where my rig is -- without the isolation i pick up hella lot of feedback from the bass vibrations....

***edit*** I have 12 cans b/c I have three TT -- 4 cans per TT -- one for each TT foot

Last edited by a moderator:
Back