Sonic Foundry ACID, what do you think?

M

musik

Hi everyone,

I was wonering if you could tell me about ACID, this program where you can drag and drop wav files, and the program matches the tempo, pitch etc... What do you think about it? Is it the best to do these tasks?

Thank you

Well, it's good in it's price range. Nice for people who want to learn how to make songs. But once you want to go more professional, it lacks features.
If you want real good progs in that style, I suggest Cakewalk Pro Audio and Cubase VST. But they are already in another price range.

Peace

yes.. thanks for the advice. Though I was asking about ACID because a friend of mine doesn't have the skills/money to compose MIDI and programming, and still would like to build hiphop songs quickly. he doesn't want the best sound of the world. he has tried HipHop Ejay but he understood that it was way too limited. So I said ACID could be good.. that's why I was asking.. Any more comment about ACID?

Also, which version would you recommend to him? I heard that there was one version for rock, one version for hiphop... is that true?

Uhmm, as far as I recall, I think there are three versions of ACID : ACID ROCK, ACID DJ and ACID MUSIC(a special version that has some of the functions of both rock and dj, but limited). There could be more versions, but I'm not sure anymore.
For hiphop I recommend using the Dj version, because it has some nice features, like auto bpm and time stretching, that make music producing a lot easier.
Compared to eJay, Acid is much better, that's true.
To begin with, Acid is a good choice.

Dj Thy

Acid is not that great, although it does work with other midi programs. Fuity Loops is a much better sample based program.

On the other hand, you could teach yourself fasttracker or impluse tracker which are alot more powerful than acid and are free, however they are not syncable with midi.

I also recomend native insturments generator and orangator for creating samples. check demos first at www.maz-sound.com

Fruity loops is not really the same stuff as Acid or Cubase. It's more suited for creating basslines.
I started making music on Fasttracker and Impulse years ago, but I must admit that these progs can't compete with today's sampling progs (XM or MOD formats, as good as they can be, can't compete with the quality of WAV files. Ever tried to burn an audio CD with Module music files? You'll hear the difference!!!)

I agree on orangator, it's a very good program to create samples from scratch.
As for me, this is a little list of programs I use and think are the strict minimum if you want to start making "pro" music (I said WANT, doesn't necesarilly mean you're able to :) )
-Sound Forge with the WAVES plugins
-Cool Edit Pro (has some FX that Soundforge doesn't have)
-Samplitude (Awesome multitrack proggie)
-Cubase VST and Cakewalk Pro Audio
-Orangator and Fruityloops (sample creating and bassline arranging)

Off course you're nothing with these progs alone. If you want to do it seriously, you'll need samplers, sequencers, synths, ....

Pfff, wish I'd won at the lottery some day :)

Peace

[This message has been edited by Dj Thy (edited 31 March 2000).]

i love acid....pun intended....iv been using it for a good 4 years or more and i still find new features and tricks .....its versital in alot of ways...i just started running reason 4 too...basically i use it like a vst and record straight in to acid...i love the chopper and slicing alot better in acid...and the visual wav form is mega helpful...combined with soundforge and a hella nice waves mercury bundle...theres not alot i cant do with it...once u get over the learning curve all software, or loop based programs work great..esp when used together ya kno...

Back