Some records sound Loud and some don't, Why?

bayaraa_us

Hello everyone

I've been mixing for months now and i noticed something.
Not all records created equal meaning out of bag full of records 2/3rds of records sound really loud compared to others.

Especially certain whitelabels sound not as good as other original vynils. So when i mix i find it hard to make a smooth mix cause records that sound loud just kills the other one and it is bad for your ears too ;)

Can you tell us your experience? Especially can you tell us how do you make a smooth mixing?

I hope you get what i'm trying to say

Especially can you tell us how do you make a smooth mixing?

Use your level meters, or if you dont have them, use the pfls in your headphones. Never have your trims fuilly up in case you have to make adjustments for quieter records.

the reason some records sound louder than others is that they're pressed louder. An ideal recording, sonically, would be less than 8 minutes long and decently mastered. That way you can cut it onto vinyl at 45rpm and get maximum signal and bass out of it.

What i'm getting is when you mix, you just have to know your records (such as which one is loud and which one is low) and mix accordingly adjusting levels, right?

Knowing your records helps, but listen to them both in your headphones and adjust the volume of the record you want to mix in to match that which is playing.

watching the master VUs can be a pretty smart thing to do as well. when both tracks are playing, make sure the VUs stay around the same dB for both a single track as well as both tracks in the mix. What I mean with "around the same dB" is less than +3dB.

Records with wider grooves sound louder and have better sound quality. :) The smaller the grooves, the opposite occurs.

I just use my channel VU meters to match it up. If I can't do that (lack of meters for each channel)I match the level in my head phones.

To be safe and maximize the range of your trim/gain knobs for each channel, push most of your sound with your master gain. I keep my master gain around 70-80%. But this is just me. I use my VU meters for each channel so I don't want my master up too high, or else my trim will be so low for each channel that I can't get a good reading of my levels for each of my records, only my master out. (It's kinda hard to compare levels with VU meters when only 2 of the lights are lit on each channel because the trim is so low)

Last edited by a moderator:
one thing you can do, if you just mix (not scratch) and don't do a lot of cross fader stuff, is just don't use your cross fader. Set it in the middle and bring in each track using only the line faders. even better if you have a rotary mixer.

if you scratch, though...your fVcked. just give up now

"Believe it or not, we did not find any interesting mnemonics for 077-***-*****. Everything is working fine, this is not a bug. Some numbers just have such odd combinations of letters and/or too many zeroes and ones that they simply do not have good mnemonics. Sorry. Perhaps you might like to try again with the number 568-3569 for an example of how the system works."

My phone number has bad mnemonics? Im hurt.

Use your headphones. Thats what they're for!
When cueing, monitor both tracks at the same time and adjust
the gain of the incoming track accordingly.

You can mix/scratch however you want.

Back