Slam mixing

S

sean

When do you slam mix.Is it when there are no breaks in the
song.Does it work on the same principal as beat matching.
Please explain.
Regards sean

i'm not sure but i would guess that means you just slam the crossfader from one end to the other, the kind of mixing you hear on the radio, thats just my guess though.

Yeah, I'm on the same track as Mangazm. Do a search on the internet, they have all those academical, dry explanations of all the terms on about.com I think.

hey

What i would call a slam mix is when i have set the pitch ect and set the cued track back to the begining and then set the x-fader to the center and wait for the bar then slam it straight in to a mix out loud catching the beats perfect.
Well that's what I call slam mixing

Hope this helps
:O)

Thanks for advise.Do You wait for playing record last bar
to finish then on first beat of cued record you let rip.
Let me know.

Well guys you're lucky. Dropmixing(=slam mixing or slipcueing) is one of the many tricks Tricky and me put in the mixing guide (it's on the way). But just to give you a look I'll post the dropmix section here (this is about 1/20 of the complete guide!)

DROP MIXING
"What, do I have to drop my records too to mix?", I hear you think. No don't worry, it's nothing like that. Dropmixing is the art of dropping out of a tune right into another, without missing a beat. How do you do that? Normally, you'll use the xfader as a switch to cut from one tune into the other. But it's not that easy. It's very important to choose the right moment to perform this trick in your set, because don't play both tunes in the mix at the same time. Good timing is essential, timing in both meanings : the timing of the dropmix and the moment you perform it. Needless to say that if, for example, you perform the drop in the middle of a sentence of the vocalist, it will sound incoherent. Also dropping in the right tune at the right moment is very important, but that's something you'll have to learn with experience.

How do you perform a good dropmix? You monitor the record you want to bring in in your phones. Find a good starting point on this record. (for example a drumfill or the first beat of the first bar of the tune). Like always be sure that the channel of the according record isn't open, or the crowd will hear the sound of you searching the starting point!!!
You can play the start sound repeatedly by cueing up the record to that point and releasing the vinyl, so you can hear how it will sound and you can adjust the general volume levels. Remember that releasing the vinyl is a bad term. Like you would do normally when starting the record for beatmatching, you've got to throw it (give it a little push).
As said above, you have to adjust the volume level so they are both almost equally loud (again this is for the coherence of the mix). Just do this buy adjusting the gain/trim.
When you are ready to perform the dropmix, open the fader of the record you want to bring in (nothing as embarassing as performing a dropmix, and no sound coming out of the speakers, when you cut away the first tune!!!). Be sure the xfader is on the side of the old track.
When you release(=push) the new record, flick the xfader over so you cut from the old tune to the new one. Try to do this so the new track falls in time with what has been played before. For example if the start point of the new track is the first beat of a phrase, wait until the end of a 4, 8, 16 or 32 bar phrase of the old track, to do the drop. That way the first beat of the new tune will feel like the start of a new phrase.
A lot of dj's find it easier to time the drop perfectly when they do a simple baby scratch (moving the record back and forth) on the rhythm of the last four beats in the last bar of the phrase, before you drop in the new track. It helps feel where you have to let go. A little hint : when you are comfortable doing that baby scratch on the rhythm of the old tune, you can bring to xfader over a little bit earlier so that scratch will be heard in the crowd (it's a nice effect, but be sure the scratches are on the spot).

Normally in the guide there will be a small sound sample to make things clear, but still have to record them :D

alternative dropmixing

sometimes they bring the last beat from 16 beats in, I heard this in some house mixing, but it's done a lot with d&b.

yo Thy
don't you think once you've put this guide online lesser people will use the (mixing) forum?
anyway, you guys are doing a great job, keep going!
peace

Naah I don't think so.
1) the guide is pretty complete, but it still covers the basics only. Much of the djing techniques have to be learned by yourself.
2) even if you put a complete, perfect guide on the site, there still will be a lot of newbies asking here (as a proof the questions technics vs vestax, cd vs vinyl, where should I start... Been answered million times now, but some still ask)
3) maybe people will ask different questions then (more advanced things maybe)

In the long run, we want people to get as good as they can. The djing biz is in constant evolution, and helping them reach the "basic" skill level faster can only help the evolution (evolution which is good of course).

I think would be awesome if you could also supply that manual as a .pdf file, easier to print out and keep beside the rig. Not that I would it need it...heh heh, yeah right. :)

Hmmm, let us finish the "normal" guide first (we're already working quite long on it). If that guide makes it one day :D, we'll think about PDF... :)

this should help

Slaming shown graphically

12345678|12345678|12345678|STOP
-----------------------------|START12345678|12345678

[Edited by Dj Sean024 on 04-06-2001 at 09:51 AM]

I do this in my sets....it's my beginnings as a Breakbeat DJ I guess......it's hard to break old habits :)

Re: this should help

Dj Sean024 said:
Slaming shown graphically

12345678|12345678|12345678|STOP
-----------------------------|START12345678|12345678

[Edited by Dj Sean024 on 04-06-2001 at 09:51 AM]
it's more like
TUNE1 12345678|12345678|12345678|(fading)12345678...
TUNE2----------------------|START12345678|12345678

hey mattu I really like the name 'dub mongoloid'
AVH, Junior Sanchez & Ian Pooley are mongoloids, and I've heard they'll be releasing something together (an EP, I read this in an interview w/ Ian Pooley)
Do you know more about this?

mixing

hello djing i want learn more about mixing and beat n bass and i i do id just collect cds but now i already own a bar in our town and name it muzik b'coz it sounds noisy and all i play is trance and techno any body want to help me improved my bar by it soundz better djkiddie.rockkie thanx

[Edited by athentan on 04-07-2001 at 11:03 AM]

well first off I would name it a club...not a bar ;) I think of a bar as old forty year olds drinking to get away from there wife :) Secondly, if you want your club to be a trance/techno and lot of ppl showing up you have to get some people in your local Trance community.....every city has them...BTW, where is your bar? Thirdly, you need promotors, people that know alot of people in your area that can get you customers! If your in the Toronto area I know tons of em...... that's about it for now, anymore questions I'll be happy to answer....:)

[Edited by Ckerr812 on 04-07-2001 at 12:56 PM]

Back