Skoolys tips on buying dj equipment (LONG POST)

oftware

I dont know what production software to use to start out producing beats.. I am a total novice at everything pertaining to software and wonder what program would be best for me. Garageband doesn't seem to have any really hot sounds for hip hop music and when I try to manipulate the sounds they sound even worse. I have a mac and thats it so maybe someone can also give some knowledge about equipment I should buy also
Anyhelp much appreciated..

LinearDrummer1

If you're just starting out producing beats then get FL Studio and buy hip hop sounds. You can search on youtube for sounds of hip hop. The stock sounds in FL studio are not that great.

Reason has good stock sounds if you don't want to buy extra sounds.

But if you're serious about making music then I would buy more sounds. There are a lot of websites that sell hip hop sounds.

Hope this helps

I dont know what production software to use to start out producing beats.. I am a total novice at everything pertaining to software and wonder what program would be best for me. Garageband doesn't seem to have any really hot sounds for hip hop music and when I try to manipulate the sounds they sound even worse. I have a mac and thats it so maybe someone can also give some knowledge about equipment I should buy also
Anyhelp much appreciated..

LinearDrummer1

Ok so i been looking into buying a turntable for sampling,scratching,and mixing my budget is in the $400-$500 im making underground hiphop/hiphop tracks
What kind of turntable and mixer would best fit my needs. Any and and all advice is much help thanks

was looking into buying something like this. will def bookmark thread and read later

Great post. You should add in midi controllers now though! I know this is an older post, so midi controllers weren't as popular then, but I think it would be VERY beneficial! :)

DJ Whrr

Good advice here, agree completely about stanton t80s if you really can't afford technics. I bought a pair of 1200s and for a while I had 2x1200s and 2xt80s set up, you could hardly notice the difference between them torque-wise, very good decks for the price. Also worth mentioning that decent gear holds its value. You could buy a pair of 1200s/1210s and easily sell them for the same price a few years down the line.

Back