Scratching Begginer Equipment

U

untox

I finally saved up some money for my Dj equipment. I have around $800 I'm gonna get TT500 but not sure about the mixer. I will probably get one of these:
PMC-05PROIII

Denon DN-X120
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PMC-06A VCA[/FONT]

I can get he PMC-05 but i dunno if it worth spending that much of money because the dn-x120 has a lot of features and I've heard is very good and the pmc-06 is very good to but less features. I need some help right here thanks.
PD:plz recommend any other good mixer in the range of 200-400

I think I might end up getting 1200's and PMC-06 or SA 5. Any opinions about this? It's for scratch. I need some suggestions seriously :)

Last edited by a moderator:
PMC 05 is wider, has effects send/return, supposedly has better sound quality and Its more mix/scratch friendly as the 06 is really just for scratching.

I would suggest getting the 05 and the techs and throwing an innofader in that vesty.

Ok... i think im going to do that. Today I went to GC and I saw some black used almost like new at 300 bucks (no headshell, its a bit scratch on top almost nothing) i don't know if its worth to pay that, save 100 but i'd have to pay taxes for it... Maybe I'll just get that turntable and then buy the mixer and the rest of the stuff online

i think there's not much difference between mk5 and mk2 and 150 bucks elss i dont know if it worth to buy a new one because suposedly it works perfect and it looks really good.

Hey people I just bought my equipment I got the vestax pmc-05 Pro III + Brand new open box(they look like new and work like new) and a Shure M44-G for $330... Well I'm not quite sure if the cartridge is new because the guy gave em to me because they were already into the cartridge... I might post a Picture and also I want to know how good are they for scratching? should i get an M44-7 needle?

Edit: I forgot to say that the needle still looks like a fine end I dont know if that means that its "new" or at least ok
PS: PIC ATTACHED

Congrats! So, what area of Djing are you aiming for? Mobile, Club, Dj/producer, Mixtape, bedroom, or a complete multitasker? The reason why I ask... I'm also trying to help you(and any one else) get a view of the various applications and financial sacrifices that goes along with the title of DJ. Example... Dj's that produce and spin... most have two Dj rigs. One that stays hooked up on their studio gear and one that's meant for the parties. The primary reason why is to reduce the wear and tear on the equiptment(connecting and disconnecting/ and having to deal with the unforeseen incidents during transporting)

Try using what you have (the m44 g) and see how that works for you. Everybody and their momma can refer a good needle, but it all depends on how heavy handed you are... and in the beginning stages of Djing... we all were heavy handed. Just don't use TRACKMASTERS(lawrd no) and watch how much weight you put on your tone arm... you can damage your wax.

*I use Ortofon Pros and they've held their ground for years... very satisfied customer!

Last edited:
Grats on the gear. Im rockin 447s and the stick like glue. You could easilly just get the stylus for the 447 which is like $30 new.

And to Untox, the difference is that the MK5's power switch is now sunken in and protected from accidental shut off. This is a pretty big difference considering its happened to me many times when I had an MK2 lol

Also if you look at the pitch of the MK5 there is a button next to it. This automatically resets the pitch range back to 0, regardless of your current pitch. If you click it again it goes back to the pitch range you were at before.

Another thing that people loved about the pitch was after complaints of that damn click at 0 on the MK2's they fully removed the click for smoother adjustments. Not really that incredible but its worth noting.

They have also improved some electronics for sound quality and I heard they increased the torque very slightly.

So yea, there are some minor changes that improve the MK5 over the MK2. I currently have an MK5 and LOVE it. I would just whip out that extra c-note and get the mk5

just my $.02

Skool.Yard.Mafia said:
Grats on the gear. Im rockin 447s and the stick like glue. You could easilly just get the stylus for the 447 which is like $30 new.

And to Untox, the difference is that the MK5's power switch is now sunken in and protected from accidental shut off. This is a pretty big difference considering its happened to me many times when I had an MK2 lol

Also if you look at the pitch of the MK5 there is a button next to it. This automatically resets the pitch range back to 0, regardless of your current pitch. If you click it again it goes back to the pitch range you were at before.

Another thing that people loved about the pitch was after complaints of that damn click at 0 on the MK2's they fully removed the click for smoother adjustments. Not really that incredible but its worth noting.

They have also improved some electronics for sound quality and I heard they increased the torque very slightly.

So yea, there are some minor changes that improve the MK5 over the MK2. I currently have an MK5 and LOVE it. I would just whip out that extra c-note and get the mk5

just my $.02
On point... especially about the MKII's(try mixing a 95 bpm joint with a 94 bpm joint... that little tick... gets in the way)

I'm just copying what I posted on other part of the forum:
Hi people, well today I got my equipment which i believe it was a good deal.
-NEW PMC-05 PRO III
-"Brand New Open box" SL-1200mk2
-Shure M44-G (It was a "gift" from GC)

Ok everthing was about $820 + tax. But I think there's a small problem with the turntable it doesnt stop right away or that's what i think. I made a video on youtube so you guys could help me out. Thanks a lot. And thanks to the people from the forum that helped me out to decide what to buy.
victory.gif

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m25JpXahj0k

I'm mostly into bedroom djing MADMIXA

untox said:
I'm just copying what I posted on other part of the forum:
Hi people, well today I got my equipment which i believe it was a good deal.
-NEW PMC-05 PRO III
-"Brand New Open box" SL-1200mk2
-Shure M44-G (It was a "gift" from GC)

Ok everthing was about $820 + tax. But I think there's a small problem with the turntable it doesnt stop right away or that's what i think. I made a video on youtube so you guys could help me out. Thanks a lot. And thanks to the people from the forum that helped me out to decide what to buy.
victory.gif

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m25JpXahj0k

I'm mostly into bedroom djing MADMIXA
Your turntable issue sounds like a brake adjustment. I have a partner that has the patience to do it himself, you might want to have a repair shop to check everything out... including the rca's(Techniques are notorious for rca shorts)

Last edited:
Back