Scam: AudioFile 830LR

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bmwii

Just wanted to let you know about a scam thats been going on in the US lately. People are selling these "AudioFile" house speakers out of the back of vans/suv's for whatever they can talk the unlucky buyer into paying. Many people were approached in supermarket or bank parking lots under the lure that the delivery people were given overstock items to get rid of for cash. They may have phony invoices for $1500 but they're not worth the pressboard in which they're contained.

My friend was the unlucky victim of this scam and got taken for $400 on his _birthday_. He's still under the impression that he got a great deal and I'm not quite sure how to break it to him.

Check out: http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_130636_1594crx.aspx

wow

not to be showing my age, but this scam has been going on for at least 19 years that i know of :D and i'm sure much longer than that. do a google search on ' "selling speakers" van' . check this out too http://www.scamshield.com/ i won't be buying any speakers out of a van unless of course it's David Lee selling them! - jeff h

Its ok to show your age. And I too will be buying some stuff from David Lee when he gets some time.

hey my friend bought some of these a couple of months ago...

he was all about them...

can't wait to talk to him to see how they've stood up...
i think he paid around $400..

wow i've never had anybody try to sell me something from the back of a van... why is this a scam though? the speakers just aren't worth $400?

bmwii,

your friend have girlfriend who needs to buy some jewelery?

i know of a couple of mail order gemstone brokers here in bangkok who can hook em up.

if he doesnt have a girlfriend, i am told there are vast numbers of virgins working in 5 star cocktail establishments in town as well

gonnagetdun@hotmail.com for details

;-P

ts

damn i've been reading all those comments for like an hour now... and those speakers still seem better than the ones i have now...

about 12 years ago (I was 17) I was approached by "the people in the van", I bought a pair of 12", 3 way "Studio Monitors". The speakers looked sharp, they had attenuation controls for bass and treble and they cost me $200 because the guy was trying to sell store over supply (the same story!). I took them home,they sounded suprisingly nice when hooked up to my 125 watt/channel amp. The real truth was revealed when I decided to look inside, just a few small gauge wires and a simple resistor "bass blocker" , no actual crossover or any kind of advanced wiring. These were some cheap speakers. The speakers sounded good when run through my eq, so good in fact that my early small house parties had great sound.
After 4 years, one of the speakers blew when my friend needed an emergency rig for his bass, I volunteered my amp and speakers.
All in all, the whole experience was not as bad as it could have been, but I was lucky that these truly cheap speakers actually performed.

Hey guys,

Ya, it sucks theres people out there that have nothing better going in their life that they have to rip people off. My friend is still in denial about these things and is conviced he's going to buy a 400w/channel amp and make them bling.

Guess there is no company named AudioFile and someone probably paid (or not) a bunch of kids to put them together.

Sniff, I think we're good on the gemstones, but could you send over a half dozen virgins COD?

DjSPL, welcome to FP and where in Norcal you at? Im up around Chico, I'd love to hear you play, maybe you can come to one of our parties or vice-versa.

Later guys, watch out for the shadeballs

Last edited by a moderator:
hey bmwii, I am from Santa Cruz, just getting back into vinyl again after a break, so I'm not really pursuing gigs right now. Soon I hope to be armed with some new mixes, and a refined talent. I like to spin dub-style house, lots of drums and heavy bass lines. I do love to put up a live sound system though, whether it be a dj rig, or a mixing a live band.

Cool SPL,

My buddy and I are stopping through SC to visit his sister sometime next month on our way down south. We both spin, but we're more into hip hop. I'm more interested in varying my style and maybe we could sess if you want.

I inherited these speakers from a friend moving out of town. He ran them with junk so they sounded like loud junk.
I run them in sonic holography with a Carver CT-seven and a Carver TX 500 amp that can put out 200 watts into 4 ohm speakers. These speakers are nominally 8 ohms. So, yeah i have a lot of dollars behind these speakers. Stereo imaging is good, but then phenomenal with sonic holography. They easily get too loud for my small listening room of 12'x12' and when I put them on 8" stands the bass cleans up quite a bit. They easily put the sound 180 degrees around me thanks again to the sonic holography, but they do better than my Polk Monitor 70 Model II's and my Wharfdale Modus Six-one's. Only thing about them is that the lower mid-range can get a little distracting with vocals. I think the key to making them sing is the amp. as is the case with most speakers.

Won't ever trade 'em. Unless of course I get a sound room that is 14'x22', then I'll get my bid Maggies back out.

I call BS on our one-post pop-in "audiophile," kids^^^^.

The "White Van Speakers" scam has been going on more than 20 years, and no, they're not "really great with a great amp!" They're just junk with any amp and the scam is still a scam.

For fun and extra points, let's see if "ebohsytram" ever posts anything about audio, music, or music production again!

Don't fall for the "White Van" scam!

GJ

I'm slightly mystified by the fact that anyone would even think getting a legit deal on anything that's being sold out of the back of a van.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back