Rotary vs Line Faders?

Rotary or Line Faders?

• Rotary

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Line Faders

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters
Hehe... yeah, Sony got a bad rep latelly but I've used mines (V700's) for a good couple of yrs and untill last week, when I got back to the Tech's DJ1200's again... still I sold it for almost the full price 'cos it was brand new... so as I say, it depends much on how u use it too (that's why I'll look twice to something like, a post from a turntablist stating his Rane sucks 'cos it broke down... nothing lasts forever, that's rule # 1 :D:D:D).

Now, about the Xone, take notice you might be starting a war 'cos A&H's been getting all the goods around here from many ppl. All I can say about the subject is, I've played a few good times w/ it and I abslolutelly loved the sound, and those filters, oh-so-cool... though I can't comment the durability and/or reliability. But IMHO A&H is not there yet, mostly as for design and overall operation. That's my opinion based on what I feel when I play it :D:D:D

:cheers:

I can make lengthy comments on things I've used a lot (i.e. Rane, Ecler, Vestax, Numark and Pioneer mixers, Technics and Stanton turntables, Denon CD players, Behringer compressors and a few other effects boxes) but if it's something I've only tried briefly, I'll just add a quick comment with my initial reactions.

Having that said, I think my 30 minutes with an A&H were yummy!

I haven't tried rotary faders, but I am eager to try because of two reasons:

1. I always mix with the eq rotaries and find that I am able to get a lot of control with knobs. When I'm queing upa track, I kill all my eq with the knobs, bring up the level with the line fader, and _then_ begin mixing with the eq knobs.

2. Maybe I'm clumsy, but I find that the line faders are kind of difficult to get as smooth a transition as with the rotaries.

I spin techno, tech house and house, so I'm into those really long, smooth transitions. I rarely do any kind of "quick" transition that would necessitate having line faders.

At least on a visual/stylistic level, I'm in love with the new Rane mixers that are modelled after the Urei rotary mixer. Has anyone tried one? And with the eq expansion module? Would love to hear about your experiences with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
When i give my opinion on something, most of the times i test it before i say anything.. if i haven't test it, i say that i haven't test it.

Yeah, i'm young, but i have more than a year expirience and i get to use lots of equipment.. so most of the comments i make about equipment are based on expirience, not just reading what someone else has said or written in a maggazine.

I used rotary faders for 10 hours at least and i liked it, my cousin had rotarys on his PMC-17.. and i got to use it quite often, so my opinion here is based on expirience.

I had four mixers till now and 2 turntables and 2 cd players.. and i've tried lot's of other equipment without buying it, so i think i know wht i'm talking about.

Well heres my 2 cents I've been mixing a long time and Im sure longer than most here so long I had no idea mixing had measures go figure I found that out when I
started coming here anyway as an owner of Fader mixers(Gemini,Linear-Tech,Numark,Gem Sounds,Vestax-Stanton)and rotaries(Vestax,Urei,Rane and have played extensively on a Bozak)I prefer the rotaries number one you are forced to be on beat at all times no shortcuts they make you a better DJ but thats my opinion and as far as eq's on channels too many people are relying on them to mix.Lets see Im off beat let me kill the bass.They are suppose to even out the records that are different personally I rarely use them but thats on every else.I say use whats good for you but dont knock the rotaries til you play on one for awhile there is a difference, some people like them some dont. Me I love them..

Back