RODEC mixers , need advice

D

dj jochen

I am not a beginning dj,i'm spinning 2 years now .
at this moment my setup is :
- 2 technics sl 1200 mk 2
- gemini ps 626 pro mixer
(I spin trance and hard-trance ) I'm looking for a new mixer. Does any anyone have experience with a rodec mixer ?
I'm interested in the new RODEC mixer ,"MIXBOX".
Would this be a good choice ? What mixer can i buy else ? I need some advice .

The best person to answer this question is DJ Thy. If he doesnt reply in a day or so Ill email him with ur query. Hang in there :D

Ok I'm here :D

Well people who know me, know that for me Rodec are the best you can get :) (Gonna buy the new MX180 myself)
Sound quality and EQ's are awesome, and it's heavy construction inspires much confidence. The extra high voltage input ensures high sound dynamics.

It's not for nothing they are still the reference in Belgian clubs.

I reckon that the MX180 is made for clubs (pricewise and size), so I can fully understand that you find them too expensive.

But the MX series (180,240 and 34) are mainly designed for plain/clubmixing. Rodec felt it had to design a dedicated scratch mixer now, with turntablism coming up high.
That's the new mixbox. A compact scratch mixer, but still with the same high quality components from their higher range mixers.

So in fact it's a scratch mixer, but nothing forbids you to use it as a "normal" mixer. It's mainly because it small construction allows quick access to both TT's so you can perform tricks more easily.

I'd say you won't be disappointed in Rodec mixers. I'd still prefer the MX series, but they are very expensive for a particular.

If I would recommend other mixers in that range : Vestax PMC05 (standard scratch mixer, but used a lot for mixing too), Vestax PMC170a or 270 (very good trance/techno mixers), Technics SH(/SX)DJ1200 (scratch, but good for mixing too), Pioneer DJM series (very good for all kinds of mixing)

And here's my "awesome" mixers collection : RODEC MX series, Ecler Mac 90i, Xone 464 or 62, Freevox DJ7,...
Good but extremely expensive...

I don't know the Rodec "MIXBOX". But I've used the Rodec MX180 for years and it is great, but expensive. And Dj Thy is right here in Belgium the MX180 is still the reference in the clubs. So I think the smaller "MIXBOX" will be good to. Any brand of mixer that Thy suggests is better than the Gemini. Sorry but I'm not a fan of Gemini. I once bought one of the first available series ps-626 mixers and it was totally crap. Maybe they are better now.

Dj Thy daai jij hier in Belgie in bepaalde discotheken?

Franzino, I mostly spin gigs here, but I've spinned in a couple of clubs (Obsession, Highstreet, ...) already (not resident, but hoping to be sometime :D)

And yes, it's more than true in the deejay business : the more you pay, the more/better you get.

thanks for the fast reply .
By the way , I'm from Belgium too .

I would suggest looking at the Numark DM2000X and DM2002X.

I recon you won't be using your mixer in a club installation, but for home mixing and the rare friends party gig... Imho, a Rodec is wonderful in clubs or pubs where they're exposed to a bunch of deejays, and seeing that the Rodec is heavily constructed it can take some beating before giving up. In the Belgian trance scene they're big... The Belgian techno/house scene seems more keen on the Pioneer DJM-500 and DJM-600 (wonderful mixers btw). It's just that the Rodecs are of good quality but not exactly feature-full... And personally i hate the PFL switches, they stink ;) What i find a pity about the trance scene is that every trance dj i encounter has or uses a Rodec cuz everyone else does... I personally bought a Numark DM-2002X secondhand from someone who bought a Rodec just because everybody used it although he did think the -12db eqs on the Rodec where not enough and to turn the bass eq he needed to turn PFL for that channel on because the PFL switch was too close to the bass eq...

Anyway, about the Numarks: They can feature-wise be compared to the Gemini line of 626 and 646. The 2000 has 3 channels, with aux/mic in, and two line/phono or line/line ins. Three faders and a replacable crossfader and rotary eq of -30db to +20db. The 2002 has also killswitches... Both also have a send out (so you can send individual channels pre-fader to a sampler or effector and use the 3rd channel as return) and feature an option to have your master out also in your headphones, making it possible to mix without needing a monitor waking up the neighbours...

http://numark.com for more info.

BTW, i have both numarks and when taking care they can last long... I bought the 2000 new two years ago and still works like a charm...

And uh... Yea, i'm from Belgium too and spin mostly progressive- and tech-house...

[Edited by wooter on 01-06-2001 at 01:15 AM]

Hmm never had a problem with those PFL switches, your friend must have huge fingers :D

No seriously the +/-13dB are enough, especially because the sound quality is better than any dj mixer I know (the Rodec is the only mixer I know where you can turn the bass down completely down, without losing any or very few energy).

I know most dj's want to have a Rodec cuz the big name dj's and clubs use them. But there's a reason for it : they are damn good. Even before I was dj'ing and I didn't know anything about equipment, I had the opportunity to touch a MX180 MKI from someone I knew. My parents having a mixer for their hifi, the difference was flagrant. When I started dj'ing, I had the problem of all beginning dj's : low budget. I searched for cheap mixers that had that particular Rodec sound. Well never found it, even on higher end mixers.

Now a couple of years later, I've had several mixers between my hands : Ecler MAC70/90i (used in some Belgian clubs like, uhm what is it called... Zillion (not one of the fewest heh)), Pioneer DJM series, Freevox, Vestax PMC55, Xone 464, Chesley, ...

Needless to say these mixers are the dream of many (club)dj's in the world. I won't say anything bad about these mixers, but personally they don't come close to the sound of the MX180. And there it comes : PERSONALLY. I think the choice of a mixer should have something personal too. Personally I don't like mixers with integrated FX and BPM counters and kills and hamsterswitches and this and that. Give me a good old mixer with decent faders and EQ's and I'm more than happy. If I want effects, i'll buy me an external one...
You see my point? You should go for a mixer that suits your needs.

And no offense to you but I think Numark, Gemini and all those other manufacturers are a different class than Rodec, Ecler and consorts.

But as you said it, the prices are from a different class too, and most of the time they are too high to tempt the bedroom dj or occasional gig dj.

> And no offense to you but I think Numark, Gemini and all those other manufacturers are a different class than Rodec, Ecler and consorts.

I didn't state that Numark and Gemini were of the same class as Rodec and consorts... But the man wants to buy a scratch mixer to spin trance at home... I was just giving budget suggestions on some mixers :)

And -13db is imho not enough ;) But as you said, personal taste ;) (and i might add that i don't have much experience on rodecs so my opinion is almost unfounded... :)

I'm not saying that Rodec's bad, hell i suggested Rodec myself for a pub that wanted a setup... Just because rodecs are built robust and can take a beating because not everyone takes care of stuff like you might do... Rodecs are imho better suited in fixed locations with alot of folks using the thing... You don't want to spill beer over a DJM-600 :)

The reason I'm interested in the mixbox is that I can't effort the MX-serie . The faders and the EQ on the mixbox are the same ,but it's smaller . The local dealer told me the sound of the mixbox is as good as the MX-serie .
I'm now looking for a second hand MX 180 or MX 180mk 2 ,but it's hard to find .

(DJ THY , I don't know how to say this in English so I 'll do it in Dutch . Ik kan de rodec MX 180 mk 2 tweedehands krijgen voor 20000 BEF ,hij is 1,5 jaar oud en enkel thuis gebruikt ,is dit een goede prijs ? )

Jochen off course it is, I could even give you the official pricelist from Transtel Sabima as proof.

Official price of the mixbox : 19900 BEF
Official price of the MX180 MKii : 39900 BEF
Official price of the mkIII : 49900 BEF

And just for fun :D the price of their flagship mixer the brandnew MX300 : 75000 BEF. (almost 1800 US$)

So as you see it's only bout 100 BEF difference between the mixbox and the second hand MX180... But as I always say, if you have the opportunity to test it beforehand, do it!!! You never know what a jerk has been behind it...

And if you're not too afraid of online shopping, you can always try http://www.ibazar.be to look for other deals.

BTW I'm f*cking pissed at Technics now. They just raised their prices. One unit costs about 27000 BEF now (almost 650 US)

[Edited by Dj Thy on 01-08-2001 at 11:35 AM]

Dynamic mixer is the key!

What you need is a mixer that has the simplicity in a nifty kinda way to set your creativity to work. Take for example the Vestax pmc 07 pro ISP, Its a quadrophonic mixer enabling you to give your sound a 3D feel, slope setting for your crossfader, hamster switch, completely adjustable transform buttons, effect send and a modest equalizer.
A turntablists tool you say? hell yes! and if your not into hiphop then more the reason to get your fingers moving cause dynamic mixing is scratching, throwing and cutting especially when you are a house DJ.
He He ........... Yeah I know a bit forward for my first post. But thats where house mixing should go......... more dynamics Not just easily blending tracks together (allthough thats nice for a party or backgroundmusic).

Hans Prins.

h.prins@e-workx.net
http://www.e-workx.net

Translation:

QUOTE:
------
(DJ THY , I don't know how to say this in English so I 'll do it in Dutch . Ik kan de rodec MX 180 mk 2 tweedehands krijgen voor 20000 BEF ,hij is 1,5 jaar oud en enkel thuis gebruikt ,is dit een goede prijs ? )
------

TRANSLATED:
I can get the rodec MX mk 2 secondhand for 20000 Belgian Francs, it's 1.5 years old and only used at home. Is this a fair price?

Ons Beneluxers moeten elkaar soms bijstaan

h.prins@e-workx.net

http://www.e-workx.net

Hehehe yup it's right, nice to see some Belgian/Dutch peeps on Onlinedj!!!

BTW, if Mano agrees I'd be prepared to make a full review of the MX180 (mkIII, as soon as I have it).

Haai folks

I'm fairly new here, but I follow these discussions with great interest! En ook leuk om te ontdekken dat het hier wemelt van Jonge Belgen.
About these mixers, I must say that I had some problems with Rodec mixers in the past. Their faders brought me in trouble for a couple of times. If I remember correctly, there were problems with the circuitryboards. That resulted in unwanted clicks when heavily using the faders. Since then I only use Vestax to mix. Now, don't get me wrong, Rodec has a good "image" AND above all, it's a belgian company. So support all the way from me. I just had an insight/indepth look on the technical side that just put me off. BTW, has anyone used the new vestax PMC25??

C Ya!

Hmm, never had a problem myself... Rodec are for renting in a lot of stores, and you'd be surprised in what state much of this equipment is... (I don't know about you guys, but when I use someone else's equipment, I'm extra careful). Well even then it still sounded like new.

I know Rodec had a time where they made their circuitry with machines, but they returned quite fast to their old methods : handmade and handsoldered PCB's. Dunno maybe it was one of those mixers, maybe some factory defaults...

I'll check it out :D

Back