right hand or left hand

O

Outlaw457

im not sure if it matters but, every DJ ive seen uses their left hand for tha vinyl and their right hand for tha fader. does it really make a difference? does it make a difference if you scratch hamster? thanks

personal preference is all. whatever feels comfortable. most right handers scratch with left on vinyl and vice versa. be sure to be well rounded though and be able to use both hands pretty well.

it does not make a difference if you scratch hamster.

In my opinion, I don't think it really matters which hand is where. I have seen a few people use their left hand on the fader and it didn't sound any different. It is all about personal preference and what works best for you.

Hamster scratching can make some scratches easier depending on which hand is where. Again, it is about what works for you.

Qbert scratches right hand on vinyl and left on fader, like me and im right handed.

yeah was thinkin about this,
i'm left handed and use left hand on vinyl.

my right arm seems to be psychically stronger like when i need to lift things, but just can't be used as delicately as my left.
just as my left can't be used for some real speedy power cuttin.

As far as hampsta style goes, I've always thought that people who scratch regular sound funkier than people who scratch hampster. I think they are concentrating more on the sound produced, rather than with cutting the sound into pieces, like with hampster. In my personal opinion, Q-Bert is mad technical, but people like Babu and Ablilities know how to make some funky sounding ish.

for me, I played the guitar before i started scratching, and i played it right handed. so it made sense for my right hand, the strumming hand, to be the hand on the vinyl because it had more rhythm than the left. and u could almost look at using the crossfader (my left hand) as being similar to playing notes on the neck of a guitar.

I personally do right hand on vinyl, because it's my dominant hand (right handed). I play the guitar to and I can do more flexible stuff with the left.. also, Q-bert recommends you use your hand that's more dominant on the vinyl, because you have better coordination wth moving the vinyl and you can scratch without the fader.

i'm right handed, and using my right hand on the crossfader. it's seems more natural to me like that.

i'm right handed, and using my right hand on the crossfader. it's seems more natural to me like that.

me too. i'm left handed and use my left on the fader. to me it seems like the right thing to do since all you do to the record is push it back and forth at different speeds. you dont need too much control for that. crossfader movements can get far more complicated.

aaj2006 said:

me too. i'm left handed and use my left on the fader. to me it seems like the right thing to do since all you do to the record is push it back and forth at different speeds. you dont need too much control for that. crossfader movements can get far more complicated.

record hand is just important as your fader hand... its all about practicing your coordination with different scratches

i'm lefthanded and i mostly use my left hand on the fader and right hand on the vinyl...

it's weird but i can controle my reccords better with my right hand then with my left hand and i can controle my crossfader muchbetter with my let hand then with my right... there's prolly something wrong with my brains or something like that :p because some things just feel more natural with my right hand then with my left hand. Like i'm lefthanded but i use my mouse with my right hand(just feels very weird with my left), i use knife and fork for eating like righthanded people(fork>lefthand, knife>righthand), maybe it all sound a bit stupid that i think this is a bit weird...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back