Returning Scratcher-- New Equipment, funky skipping

Dekorum

Hi all

I have not scratched since about 2007 or so, when I had a Vestax PDX-2000 MKII table with a Shure M447 cart/needle set up. Before that I have had a couple of different 1200s and never have I had this problem before. I just decided to try getting back into the scratching world and decided to get a Reloop RP-7000MKII since I don't see a need for Serato at the moment. Since you can't find M447's anymore I decided to get a premounted Ortofon Qbert OM.

After setting the tonearm height, counterweight and anti-skating all correctly I am noticing that the needle has a hard time staying in the groove. For example, just doing a simple baby scratch for about 30 seconds makes the needle jump to the next or the previous groove. Fortunately, I am using Superseal break so it is not too noticeable except when it jumps back enough to finish the sample section. It seems that the needle is super flexible and sensitive... Is this standard with the Qbert OM series?

I even tried the old school "flip the counter weight around and push it all the way against the tonearm" and all of that weight still does not make a big difference. Any suggestions? Not sure if the RP-7000 is junk either... almost seems like the tonearm is "too light", as I see that it wants to wobble on any simple scratch.

Found the issue. It was related to the weight plate between the headshell and the cartridge which comes default on premounted ortofon OM series' but should be removed for certain tonearms. Also, the diamond tip needed to cleaned after only 30 hours of playback of vinyl (break in period).

Found the issue. It was related to the weight plate between the headshell and the cartridge which comes default on premounted ortofon OM series' but should be removed for certain tonearms. Also, the diamond tip needed to cleaned after only 30 hours of playback of vinyl (break in period).
Thank you for sharing the solution to the problem, I did not know that after 30 hours it is necessary to clean the tip.

Hi there,
I am experiencing the same problem with the ortofon scratch mk2.

Does anybody have any advise?

My actual setting on my reloop 7000 mk2 is:
Tonearm height 1.5mm
Tracking force 3g (as suggested by ortofon)
Antiskating 0 (as suggested by ortofone)

Thanks

Back