Rec out Vs Master out on Mixers

bayaraa_us

Hi, all

I'm recording from Mixer to a PC. What's the difference between the Record OUT and Master OUT?

Which one should i use?

The REC OUT usually works independently of the master level control - so that it outputs a steady 0dB signal regardless of where the master rotary/fader is set at.
So it's probably a good idea to use it - means you can turn down the master volume if it gets too loud or you need to answer the phone or someone interrupts you etc etc......

Thanks,

I don't have my mixer front of me right now. But how do i set Rec level (High, low)

I use Numark mixer. It also has Process buttons similar to Cue buttons. Do you know what are they used for?

You get your channel faders right where you want them, and then the recording out cuts the guesswork out of the master volume. Just check the levels of the source that you are recording into.
-Peasant Nikon

The easiest way i find (if possible) to set up my mixer is to max out the channel faders and use the gains to set them so the track peaks at around 0dB.
I then set my sound card input volume so that soundforge peaks at around -5dB when my mixer peaks at 0dB. This gives enough room for any transient increases in output whilst mixing and any inaccuracy in my channel metering.

The way a mixer should logically work is that if you have the channel and master faders at maximum, and you meter the channel to 0dB then the whole signal should be outputted at 0dB (assuming this is the nominal level of your main/rec out).

in your case, it will be the level of your line in channel on your computer mixer.

bayaraa_us said:
Are you saying, that if i recording with Soundforge then it's the level of the Soundforge i set (not the mixer)?

I am saying that you then adjust your channel faders and gains to peak close to 0 dB in SF. For instance, when I record this way, I put my gains on about 6/10 (adjusted for each track...) and my volume pots on about 8/10, which gives me about a -0.3 dB signal into SF. That leaves room for a bit of error, but it is not far from 0 dB, so it can be normalized if I feel the need (although I have yet to do it for a mix. I am kind of scared of normalization).

Back