Proper Height for turntables

VitaminP

Just wondering if there is a particular height that the turntables and mixer should be at.

I've seen them on a fold-out table on top of milk crates which was pretty high and have also seen them built into a table which was pretty low.

I notice that if my setup is too low, I get a wicked back ache in no time.

thanks everyone:D

:bat:

man this is toooootallllyyyyyyyyyyy up to you

waist high is where i like it personally. but you can do whatever you're comfortable with. there aren't specs for the decks to decide how high or low they go

Yeah that's what I figured, mine are a little higher than my waist (I'm only 5' 6" or so). It works perfect for me, I just wasn't sure if there is a standard height or anything like that.

Thanks for the reply:)

i like my turntables to be on a surface thats a similar height to a kitchen bench. I use a modified potting bench (for old people to put plants in pots without hurting their backs!) from Great Mills which works really well for me.

I have a mate who has a breakfast bar in his appartment which makes a perfect desk for his setup, even better is that his kettle is directly behind, making a constant coffee supply possible! Good for those all night sessions!

I'm pretty tall like 6'5" and I was sick of getting back pain too. So I went to Home Depot and got an two triangle adjustable stands for like 39$ and just put a think piece of wood on top of it. It was cheap, sturdy, and my back pain is gone.:p

It is whatever u feel better on but personally I've never played on a setup that I have found too high but I've played on lots that are too low.....

I prefer a high desk, let's say about 1,1m. (I'm 1,9m myself).
Like to keep things close to the brain...

definitly want to boost those tables up a bit. I find it easier to control my faders when my decks are a little above my waist.

ergonomically there should be an optimum level

with computers and pianos you're meant to be at a level where your fore-arms are parallel & level with the surface you're working on & and you're upper arms are relaxed and down beside your body

not the best explained.... but basically if you get it at this level you shouldn't be stooped (too low) or have your elbows/arms get in the way (too high)

that's why kitchen & other work surfaces are always roughly the same height too (and good for putting decks on)

As long as its confy, and your backs alright with it.. my setup at home is kinda low, but it's ok since I only play at most 2-3 hours at a time.

Most of the time i'm not actually leaned over the equipment, except for one hand at the pitch, so the back's cool with that

Manixx said:
It is whatever u feel better on but personally I've never played on a setup that I have found too high but I've played on lots that are too low.....

Very true. My decks are probably up to a little above my waist..but i've played on them when they were bar height - up to my chest or so..and they were fine...

Too low however just sucks.

Mine just hurt, they're just above knee height, so they're too low even when I'm sitting down.
Basically means I cant mix for much more than an hour.
Hopeully soon I will find the right bit of furniture.

i've got that problem, nowhere near as bad as you though. i've got 'em on my desk in my room, and its nowhere near high enough to even reach my waist (i'm about 6'1''). if i do extended mixes (3 hours plus) then my back gets quite sore from being in the half bent over position for that long.

guess its the price you pay :rolleyes:

An interesting debate! I have mine on the dining table and they're fine. I guess if I put them in cases and had them raised about 6inches they would probably be at an OK height too (i'm 5'8" BTW).

I was at a party the other night at a fellow DJ buddy's place and was asked by a novice 'Why don't people DJ sitting down' - couldn't really answer that one...

I try sitting every now and then but most of the time I have to move while I spin.

was at a party the other night at a fellow DJ buddy's place and was asked by a novice 'Why don't people DJ sitting down' - couldn't really answer that one...

I saw a picture in one of the pssl catalogues with this kid sitting down while scratching on some CD players.

I don't know if he was sitting for the picture or that's how he plays, but that's the first picture I've seen of someone sitting while DJ'ing (mind you it looks like it was taken at his house)

When I spin at home I always sit down. I like to stand with gigs but I can't persist in standing at home. Like to drink a beer and smoke a cig between two mixes. I use this stool,
PE016346.JPG

Extra gimmick of this stool is that you can spin around yourself too. I do that during a mix, trying to impress my girlfriend...

Back