Plug turntable into guitar amp?

JLiRD808

I wanted to try plugging a turntable into a guitar amp the other day but realized there's no ground post.

Is there any other way for me to ground it by attaching the ground wire to another metal part of the amp? I noticed too that the XLR inputs have a ground "pin". Could I use this somehow?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Ive used a guitar amp before going through the head phone jack but it was distorted but worked for the time being no cue but it worked i also have gone through a guitar effects pedal on a ****ty old guitar amp which was interesting not the best option but it works i only went throught the phones jack even though i suppose you could rig it were you were going out the master as well?

-Yuk

Yeah just going thru the speaker or headphones jack.

I read on another thread that I should just be able to loosen a screw on the amps preamp and connect my ground wire to that. That seemed to answer most peoples problems with similar setups.

Any input?

be careful because guitar amps are not regular speakers/amps... they don't give you all the frequencies the way it would sound on regular speakers/amps (no tweeter, no woofer, etc. ... its a guitar speaker(s)

i heard that you can actually break your amp if you feed too much bass - depends on the amp i imagine, but it kinda makes sense.

I do like how you can affect your sound with a guitar amp+stomp pedals... I use IK Multimedia's AMPLITUBE 2 which is all virtual, but sounds very good... You can simulate amps from the 50's and also more recent ones, place your microphone in front of the amp (on the screen) and hear how it sounds... stack stomp pedals and click on them : ...very cool :) ... maybe I should shoot a video for FP showing that in action

mano 1 said:
i heard that you can actually break your amp if you feed too much bass - depends on the amp i imagine, but it kinda makes sense.

This is definitely true, but it is difficult. Really low bass freq's will rag a guitar amp over time, but if you keep them from getting too obnoxious, it can be relatively harmless. More dangerous is playing high end instruments through a bass speaker. That will destroy it fast.

I do like how you can affect your sound with a guitar amp+stomp pedals... I use IK Multimedia's AMPLITUBE 2 which is all virtual, but sounds very good...

YES! I do the same thing, except with real stomp boxes. Any turntablists that are interested in doing this, AND maintaining stereo separation should look into all the new double-stomp boxes that BOSS has released over the last 4 or 5 years. They have stereo input and output, which means that rotary delay pedal is about to rock yr ****ing face! I've been hassling them for the last 3 years to start specifically designing pedals for turntablists (more intuitive tempo switching, full functionality even with extraneous foot switches, etc..). Maybe one day they'll open one of my angry letters.

Back