Pitch Reset Button (Technics M3D's)

tmt007

I'm sure this is something really obvious that I'm failing to see, so pardon my ignorance; but I am somewhat confused about what the convenience of having a Pitch Reset Button would be. I understand how the feature allows the pitch to be reset back to 0 when the button is pressed (e.g. if your at +3% and you hit the button, the pitch will return to zero. When the button is pressed again the pitch will automatically return to +3%)

But how does this benefit the dj when applied in a beat matching\mixing situation if it does at all?

Damned if i know - I had M3Ds and never once used the pitch reset. Only for ensuring you are at precisely,0% for cailbration maybe?

It's so that when you're doing really precise mixes your TT doesn't accidentally click into Quartz Lock when it's near 0. It's mostly for mixing dance music where the tempos are almost the same and you only need to adjust it a little bit and doesn't really apply to hip-hop often.

It was just a gimmick to get people to but new Technics. The M3D model also has the "no click" zero pitch shift, which really is the only benefit of having that particular model over the MK2.

It was just a gimmick to get people to but new Technics. The M3D model also has the "no click" zero pitch shift, which really is the only benefit of having that particular model over the MK2.

The recessed power switch is also mad cool. I wouldn't upgrade from MK2's, but if it's your first set of TT's it's a good feature.

You also avoid the "Double Zero" issue with the pitch fader that a lot of people with MK2's encounter.

The recessed power switch is also mad cool. I wouldn't upgrade from MK2's, but if it's your first set of TT's it's a good feature.

You also avoid the "Double Zero" issue with the pitch fader that a lot of people with MK2's encounter.

Thats true - forgot about the old power button on the MK2s! Only ever knocked it once though in 13yrs.

Thanks guys, I was afraid I was missing something more important than the reasons provided herein. As I have a pair and had always wondered if I was missing out on some neat trick or sum'n. : )

Thanks guys, I was afraid I was missing something more important than the reasons provided herein. As I have a pair and had always wondered if I was missing out on some neat trick or sum'n. : )

You can do some neat tricks with that button, if you're into scratching. Take a long tone, pitch it up 6% and now you can modulate between two notes (say an A at 0.0% and A# at +6.0%) with the touch of a button. You can play some cool melodies this way.

Also, some routines require using a lot of records at different pitches, so having an instant return to 0.0% can help speed up transitions between records *a lot*. Even if you're just spinning music, the instant return can help you plan 3 or 4 songs in advance without having to spend any time getting the slider in perfect position.

Soooo glad I came across this thread. I had a pair of Mk3d's and no-one else knew what it was for either. I figured out a use for it though and the benefits were amazing. I mix music at a much higher BPM (say 140-150) when mixing at these speeds, 'touching the record' to beat match would usually always mean you were either fractionally too fast or slow. The easiest way to remedy this was to use the pitch control exclusively while 'in the mix'. However, the track would always take a little time to come back after it had drifted out due to the motor on the technics.

Using the RESET BUTTON

If you apply a little pressure to the reset button the light will temporarilly come on and then off when you release it (i.e. you don't need to depress it fully). I found the best way to hold it was if you grip the turntable so that your thumb is on top. That way you can bounce the button with your thyumb and watch the light go on and off. While the track is playing this provides momentary speed reduction or increase (depending on the position of the slider). By working out which track is faster or slower and therefore which button you need to depress momentarily you can trim the mix precisely and quickly (similar to the +- buttons on a CD player). Be careful though because the further away from the zero point you are, then more impact depressing it has. Additionally if you accidentally depress it too far, it will lock and throw the mix out completely (Dancefloor disaster). With a little practice your beatmatching with technics can become tighter using this extra technique.

Now I don't know if this was what they designed it for but it really worked for me. Have a go and see for yourself. I would be interested to know if anyone else can utilise it to the same effect.

Last edited:
I have technics MK5 1210's which come with the reset button.

I use the reset button to guide my pitch control when djing in very dark scenarios. when you push the button a neon light turns on, making it easy to see where the 0 is.

Its also very useful when using two of the same tracks, aka doubling up. It enables the dj to add more style to a song by using turntablist manuevers like scratching in a snare and beat juggling.

The reset button can also be used when mixing songs fast.

ITS a great tool to have. Never know when you'll need it.

-Dj Slim Dee
Anaheim, Ca

Back