Numark TTX-1 Tone Arm severely broken...

G

gbonafied

I searched and found no help...

I just bought one off eBay (a ttx-1) and it was packed very badly and when it arrived, the tone arm was pretty much broken off of the mount that is on the turntable. it's only attached by a thin thread of wires, and there is a long pin sticking out of the bottom of the tone arm. What would be the best way to go about repairing this and how serious do you think it is? If I paid $250 for the turntable is it worth it to pay for the repair even if the seller is willing to pay for it? Or should I just try to exchange it for my money back? Thanks in advance for any help.

first, if you can get your money back - do it. for the price of a new arm plus what you paid you can have a new ttx1. if you can't get your money back, i remember seeing somewhere selling the complete ttx tonearm assembly. hit me up if you need me to search for the link. to have it repaired is gonna cost $200 i would guess - parts + labor. - jeff h

how much would the tone arm assembly be and how difficult is it to install? if you can locate that link for me, that would be great. thanks for your help.

I took a picture, I'm trying to see if I can upload it right now. If you want I can just email you the picture so you can see what i'm talking about...

ok I got the pic online, here it is:

tonearm.jpg

yeah, thats defidently not something i mentioned. Id try and get my money back immediatly.

gbonafied - i just searched around for about an hour and a half and could not find the place that listed the entire arm for sale. i'll keep my eye out though. obviously, you must demand your money back first. i'm hoping you paid for the deck using a credit card or paypal with a credit card. this way if the seller wanks out on you, you can just contact your card company and have them revoke the payment entirely. if you end up being stuck with the deck, shoot Jay from http://www.turntabletech.com/home.htm an email. he will certainly be able to get the part from numark and has very reasonable prices (although you will have to ship the deck to him). good luck man - jeff h

Thanks for all your help folks, I'll try and get my money back. Or I'll try and email this guy at turntabletech.com. Much appreciated!

It doesn't sense for him to buy the whole arm right now, even if he can't get his money back, because it looks very much like if he had the skills to replace the whole arm, he could very well fix that one. He might need a little CA glue, but that certainly is cheaper than buying a new arm anyways.

If you want to sell that ttx I'll buy it...

Um no, sorry. Maybe if I saw it in person and was sure I had the power to fix it.

I'd buy it for $200, but in september (my 18th birthday is Sept 28).

It doesn't sense for him to buy the whole arm right now, even if he can't get his money back, because it looks very much like if he had the skills to replace the whole arm, he could very well fix that one. He might need a little CA glue, but that certainly is cheaper than buying a new arm anyways.
glue is no substitute for a properly working arm. a tonearm is a very precise and sensitive device (even on dj turntables) and glueing broken parts together will cause problems with resonance and tracking - guaranteed. if you research audiophile tonearms, setup and very small differences make a big big difference in the sound quality. you have to consider what is being translated here - the tip of the stylus which isn't much larger than the tip of a pin is moving to create a signal within the cartridge - odd dampening from glue and/or broken parts will certainly cause problems with the sound. - jeff h

Back