Numark BattlePak turntable/mixer/headphone package: worth it?

masonhandshake

Hey, I'm new to producing and djing in general, I want to start experimenting/learning about dj'ing so I can incorporate it into my production. I was looking around guitarcenter.com and came across a "package" consisting of two TT1625 Turntables a DM950 Mixer and some headphones (they look ****ty but I have a pretty dope set of phones myself). it's priced at about 400 bucks. is it worth it to begin with? I anticipate I would have to upgrade the mixer when I start to wise up to the tables. my gear includes a macbook a midi controller, an mbox 2, protools and ableton live. thanks in advance

my little brother has that same setup and honestly im not too thrilled about it. numark has made some good turns and 1625s are one of them.

honestly, i would stay away from battle packs. i started with a battle pack a while back and i only ended up upgrading to technics. if youre really serious about djing just spend the extra buck and get a set of technics. you dont even have to buy 1210s cause REALLY they do the same thing that the 1200s do. 1200s arent that expensive anymore either.

if you dont like technics and just want to stray away from that "industry standard" then get a pair of vestax pdx series turntables. i just picked up a pair of pdx 2000s. these are pretty old too cause now i think they have the 2600s or something. i dunno. but these are DOPE if you are in to scratching. i mean other than the fact that its a straight arm which really helps with anti skipping, its got an ultra pitch so you can remix virtually ANYTHING together. its got platter brake control so you can control how you want the vinyl to stop and start AND its got a heightened platter. i dont knwo what that really does but i like it. hahahah...i also like the fact that the RCA and Ground cable arent built in to the turntable so you can use monster cables if you wanted to or a fatter ground cable.

you make the choice.

as for mixers..i have a rane ttm56...i started off with this crumby stanton mixer. then i went from that to a stanton sk2f with the penny and giles fader (i think thats what it was called)...super smooth...i still use it. from that i went to a vestax 05 then my rane. they now have a rane ttm57 with serato already built in but its over kill. just grab a ttm56. its still a bit pricey but this is not a cheap hobby.

haha
mark

Bad Ta$te Example said:
**** technics.

DJing is expensive and you end up saving money if you buy wisely now.

true that, you really dont want to buy something cause you think its cheap and then come to find out later on that you really dont like it.

then you go through the trouble buying another set of good quality ones, put your first set up on ebay so you can get some money, and then only being able to sell it at a quarter of the price that you bought it.

its like buying a car. youre not going to pick a geo metro over a honda civic or something cause its cheap and it "does the same thing".

yep try craigslist or hit up the pawn shops for some 1200's... i bought the stanton battle pack and took it back the next day.....$400 and not worth it. and i'm a new dj :)

All "packages" whether for DJs, guitarists, drummers, bassists, etc; they're all crap. They're designed to be marketed to the rich parents of kids who go through a million different phases of what they're into. Little Johnny saw a DJ Tiesto set, and now he wants some turntables (Last year he saw The Arctic Monkeys and wanted to play guitar). So Mommy goes down to Guitar Center with the $3,000 or so she set aside for Johnny's Christmas presents (or whatever ridiculous amount of money rich people spend on their kids at Christmas), and tells the employee she wants to buy some "record players" for her son. But, of course purchasing musical instruments is like a car, you need to be heavily informed about the product you want. So the employee might ask a few simple questions: "is he a DJ? Club or scratch? Does he want to produce? etc." Oh geez, mom thinks, she has *no* idea what she's into now. It seems like Johnny won't have those turntables because mommy doesn't want to buy the wrong stuff, or worse yet, not buy enough stuff to actually use the turntables ("batteries not included syndrome"). Oh wait, some caring, thoughtful, "mom-watching-out-for", "couldn't-possibly-be-just-trying-to-gouge-unsuspecting-parents" company has bundled everything into one simple package! And what's even better(!): it's all cheaply made, so it won't cost a lot, which will really feel good to mommy and daddy when those turntables are collecting dust in the garage next that "Squier Starter Pack" guitar-amp combo they bought for Johnny last Christmas.

Seriously, if you want to scratch, buy one decent Turntable (1200 or better, or the Vestax mentioned before), and use the leftover money to buy whatever mixer you can. Scratch along to beats from a boombox or something until you can buy another good turntable. I started out with one Technics, and my mom's home stereo playing through the other channel on my "WorstMixerEver Brand" mixer. (Before that I was scratching on my mom's home stereo, and using my left hand to manipulate a *GUITAR VOLUME PEDAL* to cut in and out!) Honestly when you're starting out, you can easily get by with a terrible mixer, most of the features of high end mixers won't make a difference if you've never had to deal with a smooth slope fader with no cut option. Those fancy mixers are more likely to make you lazy and less likely to really break through barriers when they arise down the road. You'll need to use a lot of lateral thinking in order to be a good DJ.

EDIT: The reason I say you should spend the largest chunk of money on a single turntable is because the table is the most essential piece of equipment you need to have operating properly when you're starting out. The first thing you learn is how to hold the record, without affecting the spin of the platter, and then how to release the record exactly at normal speed. With bad turntables, learning these most basic techniques is quite simply, IMPOSSIBLE. The platters just don't have enough torque. It would be like trying to learn to ride a bike by riding a unicycle, and then just trying to double what it is you do on the unicycle when you're riding the bike. Or trying to learn to race Nascar cars by practicing with a Saturn; you might pull something clever off, but when you get in that stock car you're going to have to learn everything all over again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back