Novation Launchpad + Ableton Live for Djing

RaeTheBastard

Guy who knows a lot
Thinking I might do an upcoming DJ set entirely with Ableton Live and the Novation Launchpad. Thoughts? Anyone done this?

It really does, I have been producing with it for about 2 years now and after learning all the awesome little things you can do, I LOVE IT. I just think it'd be cool to do a whole set with just Live and the launchpad. Live is a perfect beatmatching tool, and the effects are sick so I think I'm gonna do it.

Yea I know, it seems really great... But I've got this question... If you use FL Studio, in what ways are you limited if you're supposed to perform live... someday? :) i mean, as long as you produce good songs right? =)

I've seen some people use Ableton and APC 40...and if used correctly, it can be AWESOME...really powerful tool to do some cool stuff...however, if you're not doing anything but mixing between songs, it still works well but some people do hate on the setup if you're just pressing buttons

I Use Ableton To Perform Live (Dj Somewhat) and I Love the Launchpad (I borrowed a friends for a week) and i found it to be very versatile with or W/o Automap, Even with Max For Live Monome Patches i loved the launchpad, but without the max patches the launchpad to me has so many possibilities! Another option (sorry if someone has mentioned and i didn't see post) is the QuNeo, have you seen that device? Its new :P

Yep, I was just checking it out today. It's not really my style, I like the launchpad more. But I might be picking up his guitar to midi interface soon. that thing is BOMB

thats exactly the same plan i had.
to engineer sounds/loops and setup the launchpad to play each part of track at the times I wish.
Ultimately the set would sound completely continuous, always original, and i would have complete control over the bass, melody, vocals, and any/all instruments playing at any time.
having 2x launchpad, macbook pro with high specs, 16 channel mixer.

what would be the best equipment to get this setup going?

As an Ableton DJ there is a lot of places you can go with it and I feel its best to just dive in and make your own path through it, thats what I did and thats what I have told my other Ableton friends who are looking into live preformance.

Edit: Remember your live show is really only going to be as good as your productions unless you use other peoples tracks.

Last edited:
Back