Next Action Pro Pack By Stanton.

DJWizard

Hi I 17 I want to start getting into the DJ Business I'm into techno, trance and House.
I want to buy a DJ Package but unfortunaty I can't afford Technics, Vestax or Stanton.(wich I heard are the best.)I thinking off buying Next Action Pro Pack By Stanton. Because I know that the Gemini First MIX DJ Package ( and simler models) are for 5 year old kids. I don't trust Gemini becuase I hears lots of bad thing about them and the have lots of package and lots of models wich mean they have lots of cheap turntables. My budget is $400 dollars. Do tell me to save for Technics cause I will but I have to get a turntable package soon. This is what I get with the next package.
---------------------
next_turntable.jpg

---------------------
DJ Action Pro Pack

- 1 x next! PDJ-22 performance mixer - 2 x next! NT-2500 turntables - 2 x Stanton cartridges - 2 x slipmats - 1 x Stanton headphone - 1 x ÒTurntable Mechanics WorkshopÓ video feat. Qbert - 1 x DJ Handbook & glossary - All connecting cables
---------------------

If there is a good alternative package for under $400 please tell me.

Basicly I want to know if anybody use the next! turntables there are only two. And if there really not worth it. Don't forget the Technics package's range from $900-1500 or even more.

Thanks a lot
next_logo_big.gif

NextDJ.com

------------------

Next stuff is basically crap and won't be any better than a gemini pac, (if not worse)

I realize your buget is low and you can't afford 1200's (same prob here). But try and save another $250 and just go for a Platinum Pac by Stanton. It's still not 12's but they will last you a lot longer and work much better.

stantons are like budget technics, next is budget stanton, so you are not getting good equipment.

if you are strapped to $400, here is my suggestion. you can get direct drive stanton str8-60s (belt driven are even cheaper but are crap, don't get those) for $200. then save up another $50 - $100 (if possible) for a cheap-o mixer, like a numark blue-dog.

the direct drive str8-60s are not bad tables and you will be much happier with those than with any next product.

and don't worry about getting a cheap mixer because it is easier to learn to mix on a cheap mixer and ok tables than a better mixer and crap tables.

if you still can't afford an extra $50-$100, then i would opt for 2 gemini sa-600c's, they are a little cheaper than the str8-60s but still better than next.

how bot used gear. just look on this site in the for sale forum and every so often you will come across some really good deals. Better quality with a little age but for the same price as cheap stuff brand new. :cheers:

DJMangazm said:

and don't worry about getting a cheap mixer because it is easier to learn to mix on a cheap mixer and ok tables than a better mixer and crap tables.

I agree that it's easier to learn on better tables, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's better. I learned on shitty belt drive tables, and actually i'm glad that I did, cuz now I can mix it up on anything. I'm really good at listening for the records to go out of sync cuz it happens all the time with my tables. On the other hand, If you get a cheap mixer, you're limiting yourself because you're not gonna have things like EQ and cuttoffs, which you can do some pretty cool **** with.

Personally, I think that if you're on a budget, you should invest the money on the mixer, cuz if you buy budget tables, you're gonna replace them, but think of it. You can get a pretty sweet mixer for less than 400 dollars. Sweet tables will run you about 800 for both of em.

Oh... I should add one thing. Get a table with a stable platter. That's one thing that REALLY annoys me about mine, it wobbles about a centimeter each way. :P

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your posts.

Do u think I should get a belt-drive turntable first because I heard its easier or better to start with. And if so why are they easier or better

Stanton PRO-30 Mixer
hollywooddj_1639_304110

ð 2 Channel Mixer ð 2 line and 2 phono/line (switchable) inputs ð 3-band EQ (-26/+12dB) per channel ð Fader Start ð Crossafder reverse switch ð Mic input with 2-band EQ (-/+10dB) per channel ð Headphone input with cue select ð Bright LED meter displays master and cue outputs

2x Gemini XL-400 Belt-Drive Manual Turntable
hollywooddj_1638_22031661

Adjustable pitch control Dust Cover Feather-touch start/stop control Target light Anti-skate adjustment S-shaped tone arm Cartridge not included TYPE: Belt Drive Semi Manual Turntable BRAKING SYSTEM: Electric Brake (Solenoid) WOW AND FLUTTER: 0.15% WRMS 17.5"w x 6"h x 14.5"d (445 x 152 x 368 mm) 22 lbs (10 kg)

Ok, the big deal with a belt drive table, is that it's inaccurate, and they've got really low torque. That makes it much harder to learn on than a direct drive. What I was saying before though, is that if you learn on a belt drive, it's really easy to mix on a direct drive later on.

I agree that it's easier to learn on better tables, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's better. I learned on shitty belt drive tables, and actually i'm glad that I did, cuz now I can mix it up on anything. I'm really good at listening for the records to go out of sync cuz it happens all the time with my tables. On the other hand, If you get a cheap mixer, you're limiting yourself because you're not gonna have things like EQ and cuttoffs, which you can do some pretty cool **** with.

Personally, I think that if you're on a budget, you should invest the money on the mixer, cuz if you buy budget tables, you're gonna replace them, but think of it. You can get a pretty sweet mixer for less than 400 dollars. Sweet tables will run you about 800 for both of em.

Oh... I should add one thing. Get a table with a stable platter. That's one thing that REALLY annoys me about mine, it wobbles about a centimeter each way. :P

You're spot on about learning on sub-par gear making you a more adaptable and all around more proficient in turntablism and learning to trust your ears. I've been a DJ since the early 90's and came up stone broke so my first set of decks were some wobbly, pitch drifting Gemini-XL500's which are not horrible tables but lack ANY power and are constantly drifting.

This was a blessing as it teaches you how to not only match a beat by ear without software to do it for you but how to manually keep a beat matched....all the little nudges and pushbacks become second nature and will make you really learn the art as opposed to relying on better technology to fix these problems for you. Plus, once you have learned on the worst you can excel in pretty much any environment and adapt to gear you're not familiar with.

I had been a DJ for about 2 years and was playing mostly after hours and a day or two a week at a local trash bar. Finally I felt like I could expand and slotted myself into an early hours (8pm-9pm) position to play for about 2000 people which was pretty intimidating....and this was MY crew's event! As I lugged my crates up behind the makeshift booth my heart sunk. In my obsession over tracks to bring I had completely forgotten to pack my cans. No headphones. This was 1995 so I couldn't grab a pair at any gas station and there was no time. I tried not to panic and thought about asking a fellow DJ to borrow their pair but didn't want to feel like a total rookie and decided to do something an old friend taught me in the very start (Thanks Osh!). Don't wear cans at all.

How was I going to cue and match the rough set list I had kind of pre-arranged? I knew the tracks like I know my own reflection so here's the low tech solution. For my 1 hour "debut" I picked a bunch of drum n bass tracks and breaks for my set as opposed to the more jump up house set I planned for.

Because the hats and claps are so prevalent and pronounced in dNb/breaks I knew that if I put my ear about an inch or two from the needle I'd be able to hear them crisp as day and match from there. For most styles of mixing people rely on the kick for getting and matching the BPM but what did I have to lose?

It ended being a phenomenal set. I don't know if it was the adrenaline rush, the fear or the caps I ate before hand but I pulled it off and not too shabby. Only once did I get a bit of drift while bringing in a new track but i was able to shim it right back into place immediately.

Long story short, practice on everything. The crap and the gold. Flexibility and creative solutions will be needed if you plan of pursuing any sort of career or passion for the craft. Learn it early and you'll be miles ahead of the competition.

--__-thebtc-__--
/--BOSTON#PRIMARY--\\

Back