newb needs help!

KRZYJ

a while ago i got a proformace pak from stanton, it came with 2 str8-20s and smx-201 mixer. The problem i've had with these is the cross fader, i can't figure out how to get it to work. should i stick with these or sell these get a new pair and mixer? Thanks in advance

dude sell those and save up some more money and get some 1200s and a rane mixer.

those packs are **** thats why i still don't have my tables i am still saving for them

dirtysouth said:
dude sell those and save up some more money and get some 1200s and a rane mixer.

those packs are **** thats why i still don't have my tables i am still saving for them

Save up for some Technics, but a Rane mixer might be a little overkill for a beginner. You can learn a lot on a much simpler and inexpensive Vestax or the myriad of other mixers out there. Rane's great, and worth every penny, but it'd be like saving up for Rolls Royce in order to learn to drive.

WOW, you can't figure out how to work a crossfader on a mixer? i've never read a mixer manual, but i know that when i slide to the left, it plays the left turntable, when i slide it to the right, it plays the right turn table. whats so hard about that? if it does more then that, why you don't you read the manual and see how it works?
LevLove

yo why u hatin, i justed asked a simple question
naw i know how to work it, its just doesn't work when i slide the crossfader to the right it doesn't play right side and when i slide it to the left it doesn't play the left either ! I read the manual and checked the wires and still nothing

Last edited:
People are so quick to " save and buy 1210s" - I remember when I first started playing, and Im damned glad I bought the DLP1s which I could afford, then the DLP3s, before a couple of years later buying my first set of 1210s. Its better to mix on Stantons than not mix at all.

Now, looking at the smx-201 it is a very basic mixer so there shouldnt be a problem really: make sure the left deck phono cables are connected to the phono inputs for channel 1 - likewsie connect right hand deck to phono input 2.
Make sure both input selectors are on 'phono' and not 'line'. push both channel faders to the max. Make sure the gain, high, and low knobs are turned up at least half way.
Get deck one playing and have the fader to the left. you should now hear deck 1. if not - check the leds are flashing showing that the mixer is receiving signal (if not then there may be a problem with the deck/wires). If it it receving signal but you cant hear anything then there may be a problem with the connections from your mixer to your amp and speakers (assuming the master output knob is turned up).

I agree with Carnage, I was very happy with my Numark TT-100s for a few years. You want something decent to start for sure, but not brilliant. As there is always that factor of 'do i really want to take this all the way?' or will you get bored?

A Vestax is also very much recommended piece of kit. I still use a Vestax in fact.

Back