mk5 vs m5g

A

allamericanloser

I have reading many of the posts in this forum. Perhaps I missed this one but I am less than a month from buying my set up. I was curious if I could get some ideas in terms of what model 1200's are worth plopping down money for. I have found a price difference anywhere from 40 to 100 dollars for the mk5 to the m5g. I seen the mkII for the same price as teh mk5 so I figure I might as well pass the mkII's up. Is this correct thinking? Sorry for running on and on but in short is the m5g worth the extra money in your opinions/ any advise for a mixer under 350 would be nice but if I'd be better off, much better off with a more expensive mixer I would be willing to look into that as well. Thank you anyone willing to help a brother out.

my feeling is you should get the MK5 over the MK2. i don't even understand why they still make the MK2. now as far as the 5G over the 5, that will have to be your call. if you really think you're going to need the added pitch range, sparkly paint job, blue stylus light and extra tonearm stabilty control, go for it. if not, the 5 will certainly do the job. if paint color is part of the issue, i have seen the 1210MK5 available which is black over the standard silver. what's the best price you've seen on the 5G? - jeff h

Thanks for the reply. First the looks of the table is not that important to me at all. The best price that I've seen is right around 500. Some say 499 some 509 and what not not a huge difference. I was curious if you thought that the tone arm issue was important if I wanted to scratch once I got the table and learned the basics. The price differnce between the mk5 and mg5 is about 70-100 dollars but getting two of them it starts to add up. Also do you find that the digital pitch control makes a huge impact or as the sleeze salesman tried to pitch that the mg5 has improved torque. I have read conflicting reports on this forum, so anything more you could help me with would help thanks.

well - i've not personally used the M5G other than messing with it at the store. i've also not compared the torque specs on the 5 to the 5G, but even if the 5G is higher, the 5 is more than you or anyone else needs. i'm waiting for someone to come out with a cummins diesel powered deck sporting 700 lb-ft of torque with the slogan "it'll rip your arm off" ;). i've not heard anything from those who scratch about the additional tonearm adjustment - so again, i'm thinking it's not going to matter. if i were you, i'd look into getting a pair of M3Ds either off ebay or from someone who still has stock. the MK5 has very very little over the M3D. - jeff h

thank you all for you input. Deflation how is expo in terms of the shipping? Also did i see a post where you said that you bought the mg5's if i'm confused i apoligize. Thanks again

It was me (and maybe Viper?) who bought the m5g's. I really love it. One thing I was thinking about the price difference is, that if you add the cost of the blue-light mod (the 5g's already have it), and the extended pitch control mod etc., you're not that far apart in cost anymore. Also, the 5g's come with a technics slipmat;) maybe they all do, but that's another 10 bucks right there.

p.s. Guitar Center will price match prices from Electronics-Expo.Com.

Actually, i trid matching that price at guitar center, and it didnt go. Maybe I should try again. I did thik it was really weird.

Anyways, Expo charges $11.99 shipping, no tax.

Well I did make a print out of the Expo page, and took that in with me...BUT..by the time I printed the page, they had taken the price off their site and replaced it with a "Call for price"...but I had just seen the price $497 on that same page literally the day before (but it's been a few weeks since)

...anyway, I told the people at GC that I had called Expo and they told me $497, and I invited the GC people to call them directly to find out for themselves;) Plus, I *really* wasn't going to pay a lot more just to pick it up. If an internet order isn't perfect, I have lots of recourse with my CC company, so if GC didn't come really close in price, I would have ordered from Expo no sweat.

(off topic, but I bought something from "Buy.Com", one of the kings of price whoreing, and I recieved my purchase right on time and exactly as advertised. Loving it. It's nice to see other companies besides Wal-Mart using price as their main marketing weapon.)

Yea I got a mk5g and will be getting another, I really like it, but I haven't really used any other technics much so don't think I can compare to a mk5 or others. I got mine at guitar center and go them to drop to 500. If one guy say's he can't come back and go to another, I got one guy to do it and talk to another guy last week when I bought my mixer and he said he would do the same when I was ready to get my other table. I was going to get the mk5 but didn't have the black ones in so is wy I got the mk5g other wise I probally would have gone the mk5 route because cheaper but now in a way I am happy I went with the mk5g because I like the looks, what the heck is another 50 bucks for the looks you will spend that on a couple t-shirts what will last longer.

Yeah it does look cool as hell. I can't believe I thought I didn't like this paint job. I just love it now. I definitely have the coolest looking table regardless of how well it works;) (I mentioned in another thread that the cost of a blue-light mod etc. makes the price difference minor)

I would still like to go with the blue light kit to make the hole table blue I will wait till I get other table and then I might be useing that. I am mostly scared to install them.

I am mostly scared to install them
if you know how to solder and are pretty good at fixing things here and there, you'll have no problems. i've not done an M5G yet, but it isn't that different from any other 1200. if/when you want to do it, let me know. i can provide info, tips, moral support - oh yea and the kits :p - jeff h

i totally understand man. you have to be willing to bite the bullet if your decks are still under warranty - unless you have a grey market 1210 in which case you have no warranty. the advantage is that they are really easy to work on. since technics hasn't changed the design much in (what is it now?) 30 years their design still uses big standard parts. none of these tiny surface mount components. and their boards are clearly laid out with markings for everything. as cheesey as the blue lights are, i have to say, it's one of the most satisfying mods i've done. - jeff h

I am spinning where everyone sees all my stuff so the lights would be cool, for someone that is in a booth they wouldn't really be that cool. In fact I need to put something up infront of my stuff so people quit bumping into my stuff, GRRR!!!!! I am scared someone will knock my stuff off one of these times.

Yeah man, Dynagroove knows everything about Technics light stuff.

By the way, I think im gonna take you up on that deal DG, give me time to get some cash, those lights sitting there on my table are killing me.

Back