mixing 2step/breakbeat

T

Tristano

I've been mixing d&b and house for about a year, and even some (nu-)breaks. I've got this (great) wookie album, but it's ****ing difficult to mix! Any 2step/breakbeat dj's around? How do you mix 2-step?

I asked this question b4 & somebody told me just 2 match the snares. I dont think u have to worry about the bass drums as long as the snares are matched- easy!

There are no real tips for mixing 2-step, its all about just getting your ear and your mind accustommed to the different drum patterns. Your mind just expects a beat to be there when its not so its really just about practice.

And if you like nu-skool try getting hold of some FreQ Nasty stuff on Skint or some Koma & Bones stuff on Freakaboom, ultimate supreme phatness of bass!

The problem with the Wookie album is that there's hardly any cue points in the intros, all songs start with some soft-ish intro with little or no drums.

But try matching whatever straight pattern there might be, snare, hi-hat, kick, there's always something to mix.

hmmm
I've got the freq nasty album, and I like ot a lot.
I don't seem to have a problem at mixing, it's just that damn Wookie album!

Hey superflash,

I notice you're in London. Any recommendations for good breaks shops in the centre of town? Ambient Soho and Kinetec are the only places I know that sell breaks and the selections not fantastic.

widdlywoo said:
Hey superflash,

I notice you're in London. Any recommendations for good breaks shops in the centre of town? Ambient Soho and Kinetec are the only places I know that sell breaks and the selections not fantastic.

I was once like you,lost, spending my saturday afternoons moping between kinetec and ambient Soho in search of decent breaks.

Then I discovered Vinyl Addiction in Camden which is the home of Finger lickin Records (plump djs&Lee Coombs). Go to Camden tube station and come out of the exit that should be on your right as you come up the escalator.

Go out of the exit and walk right down the street(I think its Camden road) for about 1 minute .

Stop, look over the road and you should see a big sign over a street that says Inverness Street Market, that is Inverness Street, cross the road and go down it

Vinyl Addiction is number 6 on the rigt, its actually a bar upstairs called Bar Vinyl, walk to the back then go down some stairs then be prepared to spend some money.

There is also Carbon records which is in the basement of Urban Outfitters on High Street Kensington but vinyl addiction is gonna be all that you need, check out smoe FreQ Nasty, Koma&Bones and Aquasky stuff and the new Freestylers stuff-HEAVVY!

Also- don't you think that every record shop should have that cool points system that Kinetec has, I havn't been in in ages have they got any stuff on Boom-Box Records?

[Edited by superflash on 03-28-2001 at 05:42 PM]

mattu said:
The problem with the Wookie album is that there's hardly any cue points in the intros, all songs start with some soft-ish intro with little or no drums.

I hadm't heard any wookie stuff until today when a mate brought some round, there is absolutely no cue points! in the end I had 2 mix off the base line which wasn't easy.

Thanks for the tips!

I'll give Vinyl Addiction a try when I get the chance. The problem is I work in the west end so I'm a right lazy bastard ;) Have you tried Plastic Fantastic in Covent Garden? Isn't there a Vinyl Addiction on Berwick Street too?

I've heard some of the stuff you mention. Can't remeber all the names but I've been checking stuff off Fingerlicker and Klart and like it very much.

Yeah the Kinetec points system is nice but they're getting a bit expensive - 12's are now 6ukp and imports are 7.50!

hmm the problems of beatmatching is always a matter of matching bars.

whether you achieve this by mixing the snares or the kicks doesn't matter actually... I recommend matching the first bass kick (while considering the first snare as a guide too) tho..

KICK ta ta ta SNARE ta ta ta ta ta KICK ta SNARE ta ta ta

fortunately, the Snares are regular & symmetric in most 2 step beats so you can easily beat match the snares... but try some kinky jungle and you'll be lost :)

I don't try to think in terms of "Kicks" or "Snares" or "hihats" in order to beatmatch...

I'm beatmatching by "matching the friggin patterns", ah well I come from producing so I just somehow "see in front of my inner eye" how a track is built and when the loop starts to take off once again... dunno... might sound strange... and btw, hihat's & shuffles are extremly important in uk garage, if you fux0r up your matching, the hihat's will reveal your lack of skills :)

Find the four count. If your mixing from 2-step to house its easy. Just listen to the program track (2 step) where the 4 count fits. Even tho its 2 a step track (meaning instead of the breaks or adds comming on the 4th beat they can come on the 2nd OR the 4th. So you can still "hear" a boom boom boom boom in the 2 step... (2/4 (2 step) fits into 4/4 (house) and vise versa) then just drop & mix as normal. When mixing from a house track to the 2 step track, find the first beat of what would be the boom boom boom boom in the 2 step and proceed to drop. Just fit the boom boom boom boom into the 2 step track. (This will even work if you're mixing from 2 step to 2 step)

Ive never found a track that has an odd lead in so you can (theoretically) always count on the first beat of the first bar... even if its someone talking, birds singing, whatever... it makes alot easier when you're producing tracks to keep things in structure. Most producers want thier stuff to be DJ friendly anyhow, so this album your talking about is probably the same way.

R-One said:
Find the four count. If your mixing from 2-step to house its easy. Just listen to the program track (2 step) where the 4 count fits. Even tho its 2 a step track (meaning instead of the breaks or adds comming on the 4th beat they can come on the 2nd OR the 4th. So you can still "hear" a boom boom boom boom in the 2 step... (2/4 (2 step) fits into 4/4 (house) and vise versa) then just drop & mix as normal. When mixing from a house track to the 2 step track, find the first beat of what would be the boom boom boom boom in the 2 step and proceed to drop. Just fit the boom boom boom boom into the 2 step track. (This will even work if you're mixing from 2 step to 2 step)

Ive never found a track that has an odd lead in so you can (theoretically) always count on the first beat of the first bar... even if its someone talking, birds singing, whatever... it makes alot easier when you're producing tracks to keep things in structure. Most producers want thier stuff to be DJ friendly anyhow, so this album your talking about is probably the same way.
I know the the structure, and I can mix 2step-> house, but not really vice versa, cos it sounds really messy

dj SUSHi said:
I've got the freq nasty album, and I like alot

Is that the new Freq Nasty album on Skint, if it is how did you get it? I thought that it wasn't out for ages.

dj SUSHi said:
I know the the structure, and I can mix 2step-> house, but not really vice versa, cos it sounds really messy

I dunno, it sort of depends on the track. I mix 2-step to house and house to 2-step all the time, and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
A sure thing is to kill both bass and mids and just bring in the hi-hats and cymbals or whatever's up there and then gradually bring the lows and mids in, while reducing on the other. I mixed for 2 hours yesterday and went from 45 minutes of house into a couple of 2-step songs into a couple of breakbeat type of tracks and then back to 2-step and house again and it worked a charm.

yo mattu
have you got any mixes on the net?
about the Freq Nasty album, nah, it's not the new one on Skint (I know he's on Skint now but I didn't know he's got a new album out)
Anyway, it's freqs, geeks & mutilations on B&S. Great album, really worth buying!

Garage and 2step

Yes I have finally found the right forum...

Anyway I'm a garage DJ in North london and I have been doing it for about 2 years now.
I've also been dabbling with a bit of DnB and actually started out mixing House.

A good record shop you could go to is D's Joint in Greenford. Right by the Hall where Rythmn Nation takes place. Tell him the guy with the dreads told you...

yo thanks Dread, but actually I was talking about mixing
So you've been spinning for 2 years, can you give me some advice?

just mixen :

I Dont get it man >

I mean mixing is mixing . you just feel the rythym , match the beats to perfection . And walla . Dont get me wrong i understand theres all types of things to be considered while mixing. But the basic principles. . you know . . just getting the tempo in absalout sync. ! ~~~~~~` #
())())() so when someones talken ,about how do you mix this and how do you mix that , ! I just think hmmm whats the deal >> Just mix ....

P.S . Ive been mixing 2 step for a while , and its a pleasure to be doing !

Mixin

I might be tellin you something you already know but here goes...

Im assuming you already know how to cue up the next track so all you hacve to do is make clear obvious changes with the pitch. youll notice when you get to around the right speed as youll here it the beats phase in and youll get a shuffling sort of sound.
Then make minor adjustments untill the beats are right.

Tell me if you have any more problems...

Re: Mixin

Dread said:
Im assuming you already know how to cue up the next track so all you hacve to do is make clear obvious changes with the pitch. youll notice when you get to around the right speed as youll here it the beats phase in and youll get a shuffling sort of sound.
Then make minor adjustments untill the beats are right.

Tell me if you have any more problems...
yeah I can mix, I can match, I can cue, but the only problem with 2step is that the beats are quite different (which is good), but it sounds messy even when they're perfectly in sync
so what I mean: what's the best thing to do w/ yer eq's?
I tried cutting the bass but that doesn't sound good

Back