How to get that long fat kick/sub bass?

nuttenam

Hello, I am new to all this music making thing but I love EDM,house,trap and hip hop and I want to start remixing songs and maybe someday make music.

I have been trying to recreate the sub bass or kick that some DJ's use.

For example in DJ snakes propaganda (I would love to link the song here but I can't cause i just made this account) when the drop hits the bass or the kick is so amazing, I am wondering how to recreate that? Is it a bass with kick? or is it like a fat kick only?

Another example is Pretty girl by Maggie lindemann YE REMIX :(again, can't link the song) at around 0:50 mark, the bass/kick kicks in and its just amazing.

How can i create something like that?

It's probaby a fat kick, layered with a sub with the clashing frequencies of both cut out. Also the kick has so much impact because the other higher frequency elements are sidechained to the kick. I'm not an expert though, hope this was helpful !

Duplicate your bass & your kicks into 3 tracks each (Lo, Mid, Hi). For the Low cut out all Mid & Hi, for the Mids cut out all Hi and Lo, for the Hi cut out Mid and Low.

Now you can use fx like saturation the Mids & Hi tracks to make them pop in the song without affecting the Lo end (which you want to be fairly clean). You can also pan and track delay on the Mids & Hi which adds to the heavy sound. Keep Lo tracks in mono. Sidechain the bass group to the kick group.

The kick & bass sounds your looking for are 808s. There's a ton of 808 packs out there, that are a more modern take on the traditional 808 sounds. I like to use urban 808 Kontakt instrument for the 808 bass. Hope this helps.

For getting the long aspect of it, increase the release to like 1.5 to 2 seconds. Then compress it to keep it tame.

A lot can be said for just finding a quality sample to use. If you can't then just create an 808 using a synth, you will need to automate the pitch of a sine wave using an envelope with no sustain and very short decay. If that sounds complex then look up a video on youtube on how to make an 808 :)

Back