hip hop....

yeah

yeah it is possible, there are lots of hip hop dj's out there. I know nothing about hip hop but it's a big scene. You should post in the hip hop forum.

ske[t]ch said:
ok is it possible to beatmatch hip hop...dont laugh at me...i'm still new ppl... ??/

the RZA makes most of the WU TANG beats. he also works with a limited BPM range, this makes most WU TANG beats easy to match. so get a couple records that are made by the same producer, in most cases, the producer works at a certain BPM range. mix with those for practice.

ok... but i dont get how to do it cuz like it aint just

boom-boom-boom

its like all different>?

help pls

when you mix hip hop you need to adjust the EQ's alot. like, when you have 2 records in sync, kill all the bass on one side then blend it over. if you want to mix hip hop, kills on a mixer is a must.

How come none of the scratch mixers have kills on them?

I've got a Stanton SK-2 which I use 4 scratching & mixing hip-hop, but that just has rotarys for the EQ.

Does that mean I have 2 be super-fast adjusting the EQ?

I'm afraid so. The Vestax PMC07 has these small graphic eq-like sliders for each freq which should be fairly fast to move. Ecler make a few mixers that have kills and an adjustable VCA crossfader curve which should be very suitable for scratching and cutting.

If ya want some advice on the actual beatmatching of Hip Hop, I go for matching the snare hits on the two records. I actually find matching dance records by the boom boom boom really hard. I started off with Hip Hop so thats my forte I guess.

I just started working with the Numark 3002X, it cost me 2 bills. Some people dont like Numark, but i have to say that im not "some people". Its a 3 channel mixer, so its kinda bigger than most skratch mixers, but it aint huge. The crossfader is made for skratching. It allows you to adjust the fader into 2 settings. one for skratching and one for mixing. Its really useful. And this thing has awesome kill switches that arent too close to the fader, just in the right spot. You can kill the bass, high, or mid, and i mean you can KILL it.

That dude was right about matching the snares, what you gotta do is get the snares in sync and kill the bass, then slide the fader over. Its not as simple as it sounds, so you are going to have to PRACTICE .... practice alot ..... i bought the Numark beetkeeeper to help me with mixing. but im taking it back in exchange for more vinyl. I learned that there is no substitue for practice.

Back