Help! My tonearm/cartridge/needle is moving when I scratch.

ThaCrucifix

Ok, so I've recently purchased a pretty good direct-driven turntable (Audio-Technica LP120-USB) and some vinyl. I'm completely new to all of this.
I've followed the instructions in the manual down to the smallest detail and when I play records it works perfectly.
I'm certain that I've set the anti-skating, the tonearm and counterweight correct, but the problem I'm having is when I scratch.

When I scratch, the tonearm and the cartridge starts moving sideways, back and forth.
The faster I scratch, the more it moves and I can't really scratch fast because then my needle jumps/skips on the record.
What am I doing wrong here? I've tried adjusting the anti-skating and the counterweight to different levels (even though they were right according to the manual),
I've tried playing both brand new and older records, and I've tried with and without my "homemade plastic slipmat" beneath my regular slipmat.
I'm going to order a new needle and cartridge (the Shure M44-7) better suited for DJing/scratching, but I want to be able to scratch a little bit in the meantime.

So, to summarize, my tonearm/cartridge/needle is moving around when I scratch and I want to know how to stop this.
(This is my first post by the way. I'm thankful for any response.)

I don't know anything about that turntable as I'm sticking with my tried and true Technics, but a few things. Are you turning up the weight at all after you have it set up per the manual? Cause when scratching you will need an extra turn or two on the weight. I just looked at the turn table it looks like an exact replica of the technics, pretty sweet. Did you get it brand new or used? If used does it look like the screw (on the little bridge looking thing on the base of the tone arm) has been tampered with? If so somebody probably screwed up the bearings.
Last but probably most important what kind of needle are you currently using? some needles are not ment for back cuing and will skip. Also if you are just getting into scratching F wasting money on M44's (unless you have money to waste). Stanton 500al are cheap and work great they just don't have as high of an output. Hell they are good enough for DJ Craze!! Once you have some practice in pick up some m44's.

Here's my new track with a little scratching in it. (shameless self promotion) Leave some feedback on my post if you like it. Thanks.
https://www.futureproducers.com/for...-lucky-hiphop-beat-i-remember-2nd-try-433549/

Hey there! Im newbie in scratching to and i have the same problem. I bought two numark tt1625 and im using the original needle, some numark hs1 and when i start scratching and try to do it faster myvtrack sounds like it jumps, cause i was scratching in a vocal and after a few scratchs i was into a kick! Can u help me into this?? Thank u guyZ

1. is the record warped?
2. is the platter warped or loose?
3. anti-skating should be 0
4. weight more than 4 gramms
5. fill the spindle-hole of your record (very important, watch yt-tuts)

Heyy!! Well so to the first question no, the vinyl is brand new and not warped so as the platter. The anti-skating i dont even touch it, it was like it comes but later I confirm if it was at 0, the weight i set it to 2.5 grams, i has experimented different values and about the point 5 are u talking about put something like a paper in the hole to adjust it to the turntable? Doesnt it go make it stop?

Some wisdom by a humble turntablist:

Even new records can be already (slightly) warped. Press it down a little on one egde and see if the other egde side moves up.

For the spindle hole check this tut by q-bert:
Dj Q Bert Do It Yourself Scratching Settingup And Tips Repairing Records - YouTube
(Youtube: Dj Q Bert Do It Yourself Scratching Settingup And Tips Repairing Records)
Of course you fill the spindle hole just until it is tight and just that it still gets well on the spindle.
If you put more than 2 stickers then stick them on opposite sites, if not it can cause squeaking sound when moving the record.

Put enough weight on the cartrigde for scratching, i put 7 gramms, and don't worry wear out your records.
Scratch tools are to be treated as b1tches and have to be worn out and then replaced by new ones :)

If you are a newbie who wants to dig in scratching i recommend q-berts "Do it yourself scratching"-DVD and if you get that down and for becoming more advanced check the "scratchlopedia"-dvd and "tonspielzeug"-youtube channel.

Stick to it!!!

Back