Hamster vs Regular

C

Code Blue

Which are you? Hamster or Regular?

I'm just learning and I'm finding that hamster is somewhat easier. Is this unusual?

Are there any disadvantages to scratching hamster style?

I'm the original hamster man. I learned that way back in 1986 when I started out. I do everything backwards on the tt's because I didn't have anybody to learn from other than what I heard on tapes or wax. I thought the tt's were supposed to be hooked up like that. It made sense to me. But now after being in the game for over 17 years I've also learned to mix the normal way. I can't really cut and scratch that way, although I can nail a few every once in a while. My advice to you is to learn the normal way just because it's the right way. Especially MIXING and BLENDING. The reason is because you may find your self in the same situation I found myself in when I started getting booked for clubs and parties with other dj's in the lineup and gear that is already provided. I was the only one who was backwards and there were NO fader reverse switches at the time which some mixers don't provide today as well. It was like culture shock when I stepped to the decks and you can imagine the train wreck I caused and the other dj's laughing at me and asking me why I was backwards. Learn the normal way for mixing. As for the scratching and juggling that's your call. To tell you the truth the only thing that I would probably learn hamster would be scratching. Everything else I would learn normal. But that's just my opinion. Good luck.

Do what works for you or what feels more comfortable...

But also, in the same respect, if you force yourself to do what is harderfor you initially you'll have to try harder and will probably end up being better. Just my experience..

Either way it takes dedication so go...mix...scratch..NOW!!!

Flares

OK, thanks for the feedback so far...

Here's what I don't really understand about scratching regular style: chirps and forward/backwards seem to be very natural when they are performed regular style. But, what happens when you want to start twiddling and crabbing for flares? Doesn't it make more sense to have your fingers CLOSING the fader? After all, it seems like this is what most people are describing in the tutorials for twiddling / crabbing.

I find it very difficult to do flares regular style because my thumb is closing the fader, thus I'm not getting the second sound from the record on the "turnaround". Same thing with fast twiddling...your thumb is passively closing the fader so it would take some pretty good coordination to release your thumb in time to leave the fader open for certain parts of a scratch (eg. Flare).

Am I off base here? How do you guys do your Flares?

Thanks

Re: Flares

Code Blue said:
OK, thanks for the feedback so far...

Here's what I don't really understand about scratching regular style: chirps and forward/backwards seem to be very natural when they are performed regular style. But, what happens when you want to start twiddling and crabbing for flares? Doesn't it make more sense to have your fingers CLOSING the fader? After all, it seems like this is what most people are describing in the tutorials for twiddling / crabbing.

I find it very difficult to do flares regular style because my thumb is closing the fader, thus I'm not getting the second sound from the record on the "turnaround". Same thing with fast twiddling...your thumb is passively closing the fader so it would take some pretty good coordination to release your thumb in time to leave the fader open for certain parts of a scratch (eg. Flare).

Am I off base here? How do you guys do your Flares?

Flares are hard to do either way. It took me almost a year to get them down and perfected. I'll give you my secret for flaring hamster style. If you can already crab or even half ass crab hamster style you should be able to get the 2 click flares down hamster style by using 2 fingers. Your middle and index fingers.Use the same technique you would use if you were trying to crab except that instead of using all 4 fingers you use only the middle and index fingers to snap the fader on and off against your thumb while moving the record almost in the same manner as if you were crabbing. It's gonna feel wierd at first and you probably won't be able to do it very fast but constant practice will improve your speed and accuracy. Depending how often you practice, your fingers and forearm may even get soar the first few times you practice it. It gets easier as you get used to the movements but constant practice is required. Good luck.

Thanks

Flare

Thanks for the reply rreal.

What you described is pretty much what I'm working on right now. So, when you scratch are you doing it hamster or normal?

If you're doing it normal style, then perhaps you could talk me through the flare regular style (this seems way more difficult than doing it with the crossfader reversed).

I'm hamster on everything. EVERYTHING. Scratching, juggling,mixing, blending the whole 9 yards. With the fader set to normal I can only do the basic scratches and transformers. I can also hit the orbit flares that way too and also hamster. Orbit flares are little easier to do than the 2 click flares. They're a little easier to do but the technique is harder to describe. As for doing flares and stuff normal on the fader I can't help you with that because I don't do it that way. Just keep working at what you're doing now and that will eventually lead to other things. Good luck.

man u juggle hamster? thats just confusing! ive been scratching regular, but ive just recently switched to hamster so i can flare and crab properly (its so much easier to do it hamster as your bouncing it off the side of the fader slot) but doing regular scratches is a little confusing seeing as im so used to scratching regular. but a little practice and ill be back on point.

hopefully me swicthing the hamster switch off/on for juggling/scratching wont end up in me making TOO many mistakes!!

Last edited:
if you only learn regular then crabs and flares come easy to regular although peeps who cut hamster think they are hard for regular cutters.

yeah, i scratch everything regular.
i've only been scratchin for about 9 months and
in the past couple weeks i've started to get
my crabs down pretty well.
i've tried to do them hampster along w/ many other scratches...
...and it boggles my mind.
my flares still are ****.
i can half-as$ do one-clicks.
flares will surely be the last basic scratch i conquer.

i found flares easier than crabs, one day you just get em down. i find two click flares easier than one clicks:mad:

the man is a hamster, he told ya that ;)

if ya start scratch/mixing hamster style offcourse your gonna juggle hamster style..

i dont get people who are cutting normal anyways :D

dj rreal said:
It was like culture shock when I stepped to the decks and you can imagine the train wreck I caused and the other dj's laughing at me and asking me why I was backwards.

Oh sh*t! That must have been horrifying. I could not immagine gettin one the decks and have them be all totally not what i am used to. I think I would just not spin at the party, especially if there was a bunch of DJ's just itchin to get on, like at the last party i was supposed to spin at.
( I didnt spin because the cops showed up and the sh*t his the fan. they had to used a super loud M-80 and pepper gas grenades to disperse the crowd. It was pretty intense!)

ANJROO said:

Oh sh*t! That must have been horrifying. I could not immagine gettin one the decks and have them be all totally not what i am used to. I think I would just not spin at the party, especially if there was a bunch of DJ's just itchin to get on, like at the last party i was supposed to spin at.
( I didnt spin because the cops showed up and the sh*t his the fan. they had to used a super loud M-80 and pepper gas grenades to disperse the crowd. It was pretty intense!)

Yeah. That's why I advise the new guys to learn the normal way as far as mixing and what not. Like I said, I can now mix and blend both ways and it's been extremely helpful in certain situations.

Back